Yankees give “beat up” Brian Roberts some time off

Jul 30, 2014, 11:26 AM EST

Brian Roberts Getty Images

The good news for longtime Orioles second baseman turned Yankees second baseman Brian Roberts is that he’s stayed healthy this season after injuries derailed his career for most of the past four years and has already played his most games since 2009.

The bad news is that he hasn’t been particularly good for the Yankees, hitting just .237 with five homers and a .659 OPS in 91 games while struggling at times defensively, and now Yankees manager Joe Girardi says Roberts will be given some time off because “he’s been beat up this year, physically.”

Girardi says it’s “general soreness” for the 36-year-old Roberts rather than any specific injury and it seems likely that Roberts’ lack of production has made the idea of giving him time off more appealing. Kelly Johnson is close to coming back from the disabled list and could see some action at second base in place of Roberts, who’s hitting just .194 since a four-hit, three-double game on July 4.

1. pete2112 - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:34 AM

It’s a good move. Although I’m not sure it will fix his defensive issues.

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:40 AM

He might need 15 days off.

3. slartibartfast4242 - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Maybe they are trying to make a move. I read somewhere that two more plate appearances would trigger a $250,000 bonus on his contract. Probably just a coincidence, but I sure hope they’d make some move with the way he’s been hitting and defending.

• pete2112 - Jul 30, 2014 at 12:29 PM

I can’t imagine Brian Roberts would be a hot trade commodity for any team, but it would be nice to try something. The Yankees are going to pretty much need an entire new infield after this season with the exception being Tex, but even then you have no idea if he’ll be healthy…… If the boss were still alive….

4. Bryz - Jul 30, 2014 at 11:56 AM

General Soreness. http://www.have-you-met-ted.com/wp-content/uploads/slapsgiving-salute1.jpg

5. commanderrobot - Jul 30, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I wish the Yankees would call up Robert Refsnyder?

• proudlycanadian - Jul 30, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Me too. Great name.

6. yahmule - Jul 30, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Hard to put a good spin on this year, except to say this has been his first essentially full season since 2009. To battle through all those injuries and become a starting player again @ 36 is an accomplishment in itself.

7. jolink653 - Jul 30, 2014 at 1:16 PM

I wish they’d just bring up some younger guys like Refsnyder. If he’s worse than Roberts, then send him back down. What’s the worst that could happen if he’s given a shot at second?

8. f.verd - Jul 30, 2014 at 2:56 PM

As a Yankee fan, I really wanted Roberts to succeed… hit a respectable .270, throw in some doubles the way he seemed to easily do (at least against the Yankees), play sterling defense… I didn’t get any of my expectations. Time to cut losses…

• pete2112 - Jul 30, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I wanted that too as a Yankees fan, but I think we all knew we would be lucky to see any form of the Roberts from pre-2009. I just hope this off season they plan on filling some of these glaring needs with players that are under 30 so we can get some of their better years out of the them. I think if the Yankees are going to lack power, which they do, they better better play excellent defense and we’re not getting either of those right now.

9. pisano - Jul 30, 2014 at 6:38 PM

If at all possible, the Yankees should get rid of not only Brian Roberts, but Kelly Johnson also, these two together on the field at the same time is like a train wreck waiting to happen. Two of the worst off-season moves the Yankees have made in a long time. There are a couple of minor leaguers that could step in right now and replace these two has-beens. One of the guys is Refsnyder, an infielder that they’re trying to make an outfielder out of right now, and I’m sure there’s someone else if they need another infielder, but I think with the acquisition of Chase Headley, getting rid of one or both of these two would make a lot of sense.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3311)
  2. J. Kang (3136)
  3. C. McGehee (2851)
  4. J. Upton (2836)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2830)
  1. D. Ross (2658)