Jul 31, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Take that, trade rumor industrial complex. No one was expecting this until about an hour ago, but now it’s official: The Tampa Bay Rays have traded David Price to the Detroit Tigers. Ken Rosenthal was the first to report the deal.
It was a three-way deal involving the Mariners as well. At the moment we know this much: The Rays will get swingman (but future full-time starter) Drew Smyly and promising 18-year-old infield prospect Willy Adames from the Tigers. The Mariners will get center fielder Austin Jackson from Detroit. The Mariners will then send infielder Nick Franklin to the Rays. Fun note: the Tigers are playing a game as we speak. When the trade was made, Austin Jackson was pulled out of center field in the middle of an at bat. Which is what you have to do, I guess.
The Tigers and the Athletics, who have met in epic playoff matchups the past two years, just made some big moves today. And, if our dreams come true, could face one another in the ALCS, with David Price, Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander and Anibal Sanchez going up against Jon Lester, Sonny Gray, Jeff Samardzija and Scott Kazmir. Oh, and Rick Porcello and Jason Hammel and two terrifying offenses are hanging around too.
As for the Mariners: Austin Jackson is an offensive upgrade, though at the moment he’s having a down year. But you have to like the deal for them on its own terms: they just turned Nick Franklin into Jackson. You make that deal seven days a week.
For the Rays: Smyly projects into a decent starting pitcher, though likely no ace. Given that there is no chance they could have re-signed Price once he hit free agency, this is probably the best of a bad situation for them.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 50
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 27
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)