Jul 31, 2014, 3:59 PM EST
How committed are the Red Sox to blowing up the roster? They just made a trade with the Yankees–the Yankees–sending shortstop Stephen Drew to New York just 39 games after re-signing him to a $10 million deal.
Drew sat out the first two months of the season waiting for a better offer that never materialized and has struggled since rejoining the Red Sox, hitting just .176 with 39 strikeouts in 39 games.
He obviously won’t be pushing Derek Jeter off shortstop for the Yankees and they just acquired third baseman Chase Headley from the Padres, so Drew seems destined to see most of his action at second base in place of Brian Roberts. Drew has never played a position other than shortstop in nine MLB seasons.
Johnson was a Yankees regular for most of the season at various positions, but struggled offensively and is now on the disabled list with a hamstring injury. Boston will shift Xander Bogaerts back to shortstop following Drew’s departure and Johnson could be a third base option once he’s healthy.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)