Jul 31, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
How committed are the Red Sox to blowing up the roster? They just made a trade with the Yankees–the Yankees–sending shortstop Stephen Drew to New York just 39 games after re-signing him to a $10 million deal.
Drew sat out the first two months of the season waiting for a better offer that never materialized and has struggled since rejoining the Red Sox, hitting just .176 with 39 strikeouts in 39 games.
He obviously won’t be pushing Derek Jeter off shortstop for the Yankees and they just acquired third baseman Chase Headley from the Padres, so Drew seems destined to see most of his action at second base in place of Brian Roberts. Drew has never played a position other than shortstop in nine MLB seasons.
Johnson was a Yankees regular for most of the season at various positions, but struggled offensively and is now on the disabled list with a hamstring injury. Boston will shift Xander Bogaerts back to shortstop following Drew’s departure and Johnson could be a third base option once he’s healthy.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)