Jul 31, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
How committed are the Red Sox to blowing up the roster? They just made a trade with the Yankees–the Yankees–sending shortstop Stephen Drew to New York just 39 games after re-signing him to a $10 million deal.
Drew sat out the first two months of the season waiting for a better offer that never materialized and has struggled since rejoining the Red Sox, hitting just .176 with 39 strikeouts in 39 games.
He obviously won’t be pushing Derek Jeter off shortstop for the Yankees and they just acquired third baseman Chase Headley from the Padres, so Drew seems destined to see most of his action at second base in place of Brian Roberts. Drew has never played a position other than shortstop in nine MLB seasons.
Johnson was a Yankees regular for most of the season at various positions, but struggled offensively and is now on the disabled list with a hamstring injury. Boston will shift Xander Bogaerts back to shortstop following Drew’s departure and Johnson could be a third base option once he’s healthy.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 7
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 5
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)