Jul 31, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
How committed are the Red Sox to blowing up the roster? They just made a trade with the Yankees–the Yankees–sending shortstop Stephen Drew to New York just 39 games after re-signing him to a $10 million deal.
Drew sat out the first two months of the season waiting for a better offer that never materialized and has struggled since rejoining the Red Sox, hitting just .176 with 39 strikeouts in 39 games.
He obviously won’t be pushing Derek Jeter off shortstop for the Yankees and they just acquired third baseman Chase Headley from the Padres, so Drew seems destined to see most of his action at second base in place of Brian Roberts. Drew has never played a position other than shortstop in nine MLB seasons.
Johnson was a Yankees regular for most of the season at various positions, but struggled offensively and is now on the disabled list with a hamstring injury. Boston will shift Xander Bogaerts back to shortstop following Drew’s departure and Johnson could be a third base option once he’s healthy.
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 0
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 13
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 5
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 4
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 32
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)