Jul 31, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
How committed are the Red Sox to blowing up the roster? They just made a trade with the Yankees–the Yankees–sending shortstop Stephen Drew to New York just 39 games after re-signing him to a $10 million deal.
Drew sat out the first two months of the season waiting for a better offer that never materialized and has struggled since rejoining the Red Sox, hitting just .176 with 39 strikeouts in 39 games.
He obviously won’t be pushing Derek Jeter off shortstop for the Yankees and they just acquired third baseman Chase Headley from the Padres, so Drew seems destined to see most of his action at second base in place of Brian Roberts. Drew has never played a position other than shortstop in nine MLB seasons.
Johnson was a Yankees regular for most of the season at various positions, but struggled offensively and is now on the disabled list with a hamstring injury. Boston will shift Xander Bogaerts back to shortstop following Drew’s departure and Johnson could be a third base option once he’s healthy.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)