Jul 31, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT
UPDATE: Lee has been placed on the 15-day disabled list.
8:39 p.m. ET: According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Lee has aggravated his flexor pronator strain. It’s probably safe to say that his season is over.
You can watch video of Lee leaving the game here. It’s really quite sad to watch. You can see the frustration and disappointment written all over him.
8:11 p.m ET: No trades for the Phillies today and now this: Cliff Lee was forced to exit his start against the Nationals tonight in the third inning with an apparent arm injury.
Lee gestured toward the dugout after throwing an 85 mph cutter to essentially let the training staff know that he was done. As Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com notes, the veteran left-hander also pointed toward his elbow, which is a bad sign considering he just missed two months with a flexor pronator strain. He was rather emotional in the dugout after leaving the game, so it doesn’t look good, but we’re still waiting on official word.
Lee, 35, is still owned nearly $46 million through 2015. This includes $25 million for next season and a $12.5 million buyout on a $27.5 million club option for 2016.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 1
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 48
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)