Jul 31, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT
UPDATE: Lee has been placed on the 15-day disabled list.
8:39 p.m. ET: According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Lee has aggravated his flexor pronator strain. It’s probably safe to say that his season is over.
You can watch video of Lee leaving the game here. It’s really quite sad to watch. You can see the frustration and disappointment written all over him.
8:11 p.m ET: No trades for the Phillies today and now this: Cliff Lee was forced to exit his start against the Nationals tonight in the third inning with an apparent arm injury.
Lee gestured toward the dugout after throwing an 85 mph cutter to essentially let the training staff know that he was done. As Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com notes, the veteran left-hander also pointed toward his elbow, which is a bad sign considering he just missed two months with a flexor pronator strain. He was rather emotional in the dugout after leaving the game, so it doesn’t look good, but we’re still waiting on official word.
Lee, 35, is still owned nearly $46 million through 2015. This includes $25 million for next season and a $12.5 million buyout on a $27.5 million club option for 2016.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 53
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 60
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)