Jul 31, 2014, 4:52 PM EST
Russell is the lefty in the pen the Braves had been rumored to be looking for. Overall he’s 0-2 with a 3.51 ERA and 26 strikeouts against 16 walks in 44 innings this year. In 2014 lefties have actually tattooed him compared to righties, which he has handled quite well, though that’s obviously on a small sample. For his career his splits are what you would expect — better against lefties than righties — but not such a pronounced split that he’s DEATH TO ALL LEFTIES or anything.
Bonifacio has been a super sub for ages. He can play three infield positions and has covered center field. His bat is no great shakes, but he has his moments. He’s good injury protection and a nice guy to have on the bench.
Caratini is the Braves’ #6 overall prospect. He’s 20, is playing at Rome in the Sally League, but he’s essentially blocked by Christian Bethancourt and Evan Gattis (and others) in the system. He could be a good one one day, however. In 611 minor league plate appearances he has a .377 OBP.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)