Jul 31, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Russell is the lefty in the pen the Braves had been rumored to be looking for. Overall he’s 0-2 with a 3.51 ERA and 26 strikeouts against 16 walks in 44 innings this year. In 2014 lefties have actually tattooed him compared to righties, which he has handled quite well, though that’s obviously on a small sample. For his career his splits are what you would expect — better against lefties than righties — but not such a pronounced split that he’s DEATH TO ALL LEFTIES or anything.
Bonifacio has been a super sub for ages. He can play three infield positions and has covered center field. His bat is no great shakes, but he has his moments. He’s good injury protection and a nice guy to have on the bench.
Caratini is the Braves’ #6 overall prospect. He’s 20, is playing at Rome in the Sally League, but he’s essentially blocked by Christian Bethancourt and Evan Gattis (and others) in the system. He could be a good one one day, however. In 611 minor league plate appearances he has a .377 OBP.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)