Jul 31, 2014, 9:50 PM EST
OK, so this is pretty fantastic.
Athletics general manager Billy Beane strengthened his team’s rotation this morning by acquiring left-hander Jon Lester from the Red Sox. Hours later, the Tigers answered by picking up left-hander David Price as part of a three-team deal with the Rays and Mariners. As Jane Lee of MLB.com relays below, Beane received some good-natured smack talk from Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski just moments before the 4 p.m. ET non-waiver trade deadline passed:
Competing both on and off the field. I dig it. The arms race between the Athletics and Tigers is just too much fun. There’s still two months remaining in the regular season and I have no horse in this race, but it would be quite a treat to see these two teams square off in the playoffs for a third straight year.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)