Jul 31, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
OK, so this is pretty fantastic.
Athletics general manager Billy Beane strengthened his team’s rotation this morning by acquiring left-hander Jon Lester from the Red Sox. Hours later, the Tigers answered by picking up left-hander David Price as part of a three-team deal with the Rays and Mariners. As Jane Lee of MLB.com relays below, Beane received some good-natured smack talk from Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski just moments before the 4 p.m. ET non-waiver trade deadline passed:
Competing both on and off the field. I dig it. The arms race between the Athletics and Tigers is just too much fun. There’s still two months remaining in the regular season and I have no horse in this race, but it would be quite a treat to see these two teams square off in the playoffs for a third straight year.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)