Jul 31, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
This morning the Red Sox were reportedly close to trading left-handed reliever Andrew Miller to the Tigers, but that deal apparently fell through because now Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that Miller has been sent to the Orioles.
Miller never developed into the top-of-the-rotation starter many expected, but the impending free agent has become a dominant reliever with a 2.78 ERA, .191 opponents’ batting average, and 168 strikeouts in 113 innings since 2012.
Zach Britton has 21 saves with a 1.65 ERA since taking over the Orioles’ closer gig, so his grip on ninth-inning duties seems secure, but Miller should see plenty of late-inning action in high-leverage situations for Baltimore.
In exchange for Miller the Red Sox receive minor-leaguer Eduardo Rodriguez, a 21-year-old left-hander with a 4.79 ERA and 69/29 K/BB ratio in 83 innings at Double-A. His stock has dipped somewhat this season, but Rodriguez ranked as one of Baseball America’s top 100 prospects coming into year and looks like a relatively steep price to pay for two months of relief help.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 26
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)