Jul 31, 2014, 3:13 PM EST
This morning the Red Sox were reportedly close to trading left-handed reliever Andrew Miller to the Tigers, but that deal apparently fell through because now Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that Miller has been sent to the Orioles.
Miller never developed into the top-of-the-rotation starter many expected, but the impending free agent has become a dominant reliever with a 2.78 ERA, .191 opponents’ batting average, and 168 strikeouts in 113 innings since 2012.
Zach Britton has 21 saves with a 1.65 ERA since taking over the Orioles’ closer gig, so his grip on ninth-inning duties seems secure, but Miller should see plenty of late-inning action in high-leverage situations for Baltimore.
In exchange for Miller the Red Sox receive minor-leaguer Eduardo Rodriguez, a 21-year-old left-hander with a 4.79 ERA and 69/29 K/BB ratio in 83 innings at Double-A. His stock has dipped somewhat this season, but Rodriguez ranked as one of Baseball America’s top 100 prospects coming into year and looks like a relatively steep price to pay for two months of relief help.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)