Jul 31, 2014, 6:58 PM EST
The Rays dealt ace left-hander David Price to the Tigers before this afternoon’s non-waiver trade deadline as part of a three-team trade with the Mariners. For some reason, FOX 13 in Tampa Bay thought it was a good idea to post the following awful tweet to cheer up Rays fans who are sad about sports. Or something.
Yes, because mocking poverty and squalid urban areas is pretty hilarious stuff. It’s especially ill-timed given the city’s current water crisis. Good job, guys.
With all of Twitter erupting, it didn’t take FOX 13 long to realize that the tweet in question was a really bad idea and just in poor taste in general. It has since been deleted. They issued this (lousy) apology:
FOX 2 in Detroit has since issued the following rebuttal, which pretty much rules:
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 9
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)