Jul 31, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
I’m seeing a lot of people criticizing the Red Sox’ end of the Jon Lester trade. Saying that they wished they got more for him than Yoenis Cespedes. Prospects, perhaps. Hitters with more team control, as Cespedes is a free agent after 2015. Frankly, I think that’s wrong. I think this is a win-win trade.
For Oakland, it makes perfect sense. They are a legitimate World Series contender and when you’re a legitimate World Series contender, you do what you need to do. Adding one of the best starting pitchers in baseball is one of those things you do if the opportunity presents itself. Giving up a season and a half of a good but by no means indispensable outfielder like Cespedes is not a hard price to pay.
It’s more complicated for Boston, obviously, but it all comes down to what you think of the Red Sox’ chances to contend in 2015. If you think they’re sunk and need to rebuild, sure, you lament the fact that you didn’t get prospects. I don’t think that’s the case however. I don’t think it’s at all unreasonable to think they’ll bounce back in 2015 and adding Cespedes to what has been a troublesomely non-productive outfield is a big boost in that regard. No, he was not indispensable in Oakland, but he’s coming to a good hitters park in Boston and represents a solid upgrade. On defense too, where he will be paired in the outfield with Jackie Bradley Jr., giving the Sox some awesome D in the outfield.
The biggest question, obviously, is what Boston will do for pitching next year, especially if they trade John Lackey too, which is rumored. Well, I don’t know. But there’s no reason they can’t bid on Lester when he walks in free agency from Oakland (remember the A’s can’t give him a qualifying offer since he hasn’t been with the team all season). And the fact is, in this day and age it’s easier to add pitching in the offseason than it is to add a big bat. The Sox just added their big bat.
So don’t cry, anyone. This is a win-win.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 14
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54