Jul 31, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Pop quiz, hot shot: you are on the fringes of the playoffs and there is a lot of pressure on you to break through this year. Your pitching is pretty darn respectable — you’re fourth in the American League in runs allowed a game, in fact — but your offense has been a problem all year. You’ve not been active at the deadline so far, but you need to make a move. What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO?
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 31, 2014
Well, not that.
Look, even if you think pitching was your biggest need — and for the Royals it isn’t — why is Burnett who you’re after? Why not Bartolo Colon, maybe? Burnett has been erratic as all get-out. He, unlike maybe a bat, is not going to be the difference between the playoffs and a quiet petering out into third place.
Heck, he could be the cause of it.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)