Jul 31, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Pop quiz, hot shot: you are on the fringes of the playoffs and there is a lot of pressure on you to break through this year. Your pitching is pretty darn respectable — you’re fourth in the American League in runs allowed a game, in fact — but your offense has been a problem all year. You’ve not been active at the deadline so far, but you need to make a move. What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO?
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 31, 2014
Well, not that.
Look, even if you think pitching was your biggest need — and for the Royals it isn’t — why is Burnett who you’re after? Why not Bartolo Colon, maybe? Burnett has been erratic as all get-out. He, unlike maybe a bat, is not going to be the difference between the playoffs and a quiet petering out into third place.
Heck, he could be the cause of it.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)