Jul 31, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Pop quiz, hot shot: you are on the fringes of the playoffs and there is a lot of pressure on you to break through this year. Your pitching is pretty darn respectable — you’re fourth in the American League in runs allowed a game, in fact — but your offense has been a problem all year. You’ve not been active at the deadline so far, but you need to make a move. What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO?
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 31, 2014
Well, not that.
Look, even if you think pitching was your biggest need — and for the Royals it isn’t — why is Burnett who you’re after? Why not Bartolo Colon, maybe? Burnett has been erratic as all get-out. He, unlike maybe a bat, is not going to be the difference between the playoffs and a quiet petering out into third place.
Heck, he could be the cause of it.
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 4
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 59
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 110
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (110)