Jul 31, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Jack Curry of YES Network reports that the Yankees have acquired Martin Prado from the Diamondbacks. The Diamondbacks will get catcher Pete O’Brien and a player to be named later in return.
Prado s mostly a third baseman, but he can play second, short and the outfield too. When he was with the Braves he even covered first base on occasion. He’s 30 and is having a bit of a down year at the plate — .270/.317/.370 — but his versatility and durability is exactly what the Yankees need with all of their injured and/or fragile players.
Joel Sherman of the Post reports that Stephen Drew has been told he is playing second base for the Yankees, so figure it’s super utility work for Prado and, possibly, some covering for Mark Teixeira at first base. Basically, everywhere else he is needed too. Plus, Prado is signed through 2016, so the Yankees have his services for a while, giving them some good flexibility.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)