Jul 31, 2014, 4:16 PM EST
Jack Curry of YES Network reports that the Yankees have acquired Martin Prado from the Diamondbacks. The Diamondbacks will get catcher Pete O’Brien and a player to be named later in return.
Prado s mostly a third baseman, but he can play second, short and the outfield too. When he was with the Braves he even covered first base on occasion. He’s 30 and is having a bit of a down year at the plate — .270/.317/.370 — but his versatility and durability is exactly what the Yankees need with all of their injured and/or fragile players.
Joel Sherman of the Post reports that Stephen Drew has been told he is playing second base for the Yankees, so figure it’s super utility work for Prado and, possibly, some covering for Mark Teixeira at first base. Basically, everywhere else he is needed too. Plus, Prado is signed through 2016, so the Yankees have his services for a while, giving them some good flexibility.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 23
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 96
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (96)