Jul 31, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Jack Curry of YES Network reports that the Yankees have acquired Martin Prado from the Diamondbacks. The Diamondbacks will get catcher Pete O’Brien and a player to be named later in return.
Prado s mostly a third baseman, but he can play second, short and the outfield too. When he was with the Braves he even covered first base on occasion. He’s 30 and is having a bit of a down year at the plate — .270/.317/.370 — but his versatility and durability is exactly what the Yankees need with all of their injured and/or fragile players.
Joel Sherman of the Post reports that Stephen Drew has been told he is playing second base for the Yankees, so figure it’s super utility work for Prado and, possibly, some covering for Mark Teixeira at first base. Basically, everywhere else he is needed too. Plus, Prado is signed through 2016, so the Yankees have his services for a while, giving them some good flexibility.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)