Jul 31, 2014, 4:16 PM EST
Jack Curry of YES Network reports that the Yankees have acquired Martin Prado from the Diamondbacks. The Diamondbacks will get catcher Pete O’Brien and a player to be named later in return.
Prado s mostly a third baseman, but he can play second, short and the outfield too. When he was with the Braves he even covered first base on occasion. He’s 30 and is having a bit of a down year at the plate — .270/.317/.370 — but his versatility and durability is exactly what the Yankees need with all of their injured and/or fragile players.
Joel Sherman of the Post reports that Stephen Drew has been told he is playing second base for the Yankees, so figure it’s super utility work for Prado and, possibly, some covering for Mark Teixeira at first base. Basically, everywhere else he is needed too. Plus, Prado is signed through 2016, so the Yankees have his services for a while, giving them some good flexibility.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)