Jul 31, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Jack Curry of YES Network reports that the Yankees have acquired Martin Prado from the Diamondbacks. The Diamondbacks will get catcher Pete O’Brien and a player to be named later in return.
Prado s mostly a third baseman, but he can play second, short and the outfield too. When he was with the Braves he even covered first base on occasion. He’s 30 and is having a bit of a down year at the plate — .270/.317/.370 — but his versatility and durability is exactly what the Yankees need with all of their injured and/or fragile players.
Joel Sherman of the Post reports that Stephen Drew has been told he is playing second base for the Yankees, so figure it’s super utility work for Prado and, possibly, some covering for Mark Teixeira at first base. Basically, everywhere else he is needed too. Plus, Prado is signed through 2016, so the Yankees have his services for a while, giving them some good flexibility.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)