Jul 31, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Roberts has stayed healthy after missing the bulk of the past four seasons with injuries, but he hit just .237 with a .659 OPS in 91 games, struggled at times defensively, and was recently given some time off because manager Joe Girardi felt he was “beat up” physically.
Roberts had a helluva run for the Orioles before injuries derailed his career, ranking as one of the better all-around second basemen in the league for nearly a decade, but at age 36 this could be the end of the line unless he wants to go play at Triple-A for a while.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)