Dan Uggla will be cut by Giants, might accept demotion to Triple-A

Aug 1, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT

uggla giants getty Getty Images

Despite initial reports to the contrary the Giants have not yet released second baseman Dan Uggla after the Braves castoff went 0-for-11 with six strikeouts and three errors in his first four games for San Francisco.

However, according to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com Uggla did not travel with the team on their road trip to New York and will be let go from the active roster prior to tonight’s game against the Mets.

He may still stay with the Giants, as Baggarly reports that Uggla is considering accepting an assignment to Triple-A rather than hitting the open market again as a free agent.

1. renaado - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:53 AM

To heck with this… Uggla needs to play for the LG Twins.

Which, probably ain’t going to happen.

2. blue21c - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Sounds like Dan Uggla has been playing pretty Uggla

• asimonetti88 - Aug 1, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I dated his sister in college, Tota Lee.

3. The Modernish Father - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:07 PM

I have to wonder why the Giants have been dragging this out over the past 24 hours. Either cut the guy or don’t.

• mrpinkca - Aug 1, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I mean, yesterday was the trade deadline; it’s reasonable to want to stay flexible. I can’t possibly imagine another team wanting him, but maybe Sabean thought otherwise.

4. El Bravo - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Wow he is even terrible-er with the Giants, that’s pretty damn impressive.

5. pete2112 - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I’m surprised the Rays didn’t trade David Price for him. <—- sarcasm

6. edelmanfanclub - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:21 PM

He’s one of those guys that bitch of an owner in Major League would ask Lou Brown to start in 2nd. I doubt he would even start for them.

7. ud1951 - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:25 PM

I’m certainly not a fan of Uggla, but in the four games where he went 0 for 11, he faced Greinke, Kershaw, Ryu, and Liriano and none of his teammates did much of anything offensively either. The three errors may be a better reason to not play him than struggling against four outstanding pitchers who were all throwing their best stuff.

• renaado - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Uggla really needs to change his approach there at the plate, this guy’s definitely goin for power, and that only. What he did in the past is done, and a change on approach or mindset is a must. Outstanding pitchers or not… This guy’ll continue to struggle.

• temporarilyexiled - Aug 1, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Change of approach and/or mindset needed. Nose job and/or name change couldn’t hurt.

• professor59 - Aug 1, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I can’t imagine anyone would give him the chance.

8. toodrunktotastethischicken - Aug 1, 2014 at 1:18 PM

If I’m Uggla I’m taking the Triple-A assignment and doing whatever it takes to regain my career back.

• Bob Loblaw - Aug 1, 2014 at 2:27 PM

if I’m Uggla, I’m going to relax and collect the $650,000 a week checks for the rest of this season and for the 20 weeks during 2015 season and maybe sit on a beach somewhere.

• bobulated - Aug 1, 2014 at 5:12 PM

AAA is no biggie when the Braves still owe you eleventy billion dollars.

• professor59 - Aug 1, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Like not swinging for a HR on every pitch? Unlikely.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3431)