Aug 1, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
We heard yesterday that while Giants right-hander Matt Cain doesn’t need Tommy John surgery, he’s dealing with “loose bodies” in his elbow. There’s nothing official yet, but it certainly sounds like his season is over.
Here’s the latest on Cain from CSNBayArea.com:
The Giants’ medical staff recommended surgery for Matt Cain’s inflamed right elbow. Two more doctors offered concurring opinions, including noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews.
But Cain has to be on board as well, and he hasn’t signed off yet. The Giants’ right-hander wanted to try throwing one more time, playing catch from 60 feet in New York on Friday.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told reporters at Citi Field that he was not optimistic Cain would throw another pitch this season.
“Chances are, if you’re putting odds on it, the odds are not going to be that he will pitch,” Bochy told reporters.
Cain needs surgery no matter what, so it’s really just a matter of when. Assuming he opts to have it now, he should have plenty of time to rehab in advance of spring training next year. But there’s nothing final yet.
This has been a year to forget for Cain, as he has posted a career-high 4.18 ERA over 15 starts while serving three stints on the disabled list. He turns 30 in August and is owed $67.5 million from 2015-2017.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)