Aug 1, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
We heard yesterday that while Giants right-hander Matt Cain doesn’t need Tommy John surgery, he’s dealing with “loose bodies” in his elbow. There’s nothing official yet, but it certainly sounds like his season is over.
Here’s the latest on Cain from CSNBayArea.com:
The Giants’ medical staff recommended surgery for Matt Cain’s inflamed right elbow. Two more doctors offered concurring opinions, including noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews.
But Cain has to be on board as well, and he hasn’t signed off yet. The Giants’ right-hander wanted to try throwing one more time, playing catch from 60 feet in New York on Friday.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told reporters at Citi Field that he was not optimistic Cain would throw another pitch this season.
“Chances are, if you’re putting odds on it, the odds are not going to be that he will pitch,” Bochy told reporters.
Cain needs surgery no matter what, so it’s really just a matter of when. Assuming he opts to have it now, he should have plenty of time to rehab in advance of spring training next year. But there’s nothing final yet.
This has been a year to forget for Cain, as he has posted a career-high 4.18 ERA over 15 starts while serving three stints on the disabled list. He turns 30 in August and is owed $67.5 million from 2015-2017.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 14
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 18
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)