Aug 1, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
We heard yesterday that while Giants right-hander Matt Cain doesn’t need Tommy John surgery, he’s dealing with “loose bodies” in his elbow. There’s nothing official yet, but it certainly sounds like his season is over.
Here’s the latest on Cain from CSNBayArea.com:
The Giants’ medical staff recommended surgery for Matt Cain’s inflamed right elbow. Two more doctors offered concurring opinions, including noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews.
But Cain has to be on board as well, and he hasn’t signed off yet. The Giants’ right-hander wanted to try throwing one more time, playing catch from 60 feet in New York on Friday.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told reporters at Citi Field that he was not optimistic Cain would throw another pitch this season.
“Chances are, if you’re putting odds on it, the odds are not going to be that he will pitch,” Bochy told reporters.
Cain needs surgery no matter what, so it’s really just a matter of when. Assuming he opts to have it now, he should have plenty of time to rehab in advance of spring training next year. But there’s nothing final yet.
This has been a year to forget for Cain, as he has posted a career-high 4.18 ERA over 15 starts while serving three stints on the disabled list. He turns 30 in August and is owed $67.5 million from 2015-2017.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)