Aug 1, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
We heard yesterday that while Giants right-hander Matt Cain doesn’t need Tommy John surgery, he’s dealing with “loose bodies” in his elbow. There’s nothing official yet, but it certainly sounds like his season is over.
Here’s the latest on Cain from CSNBayArea.com:
The Giants’ medical staff recommended surgery for Matt Cain’s inflamed right elbow. Two more doctors offered concurring opinions, including noted orthopedist Dr. James Andrews.
But Cain has to be on board as well, and he hasn’t signed off yet. The Giants’ right-hander wanted to try throwing one more time, playing catch from 60 feet in New York on Friday.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told reporters at Citi Field that he was not optimistic Cain would throw another pitch this season.
“Chances are, if you’re putting odds on it, the odds are not going to be that he will pitch,” Bochy told reporters.
Cain needs surgery no matter what, so it’s really just a matter of when. Assuming he opts to have it now, he should have plenty of time to rehab in advance of spring training next year. But there’s nothing final yet.
This has been a year to forget for Cain, as he has posted a career-high 4.18 ERA over 15 starts while serving three stints on the disabled list. He turns 30 in August and is owed $67.5 million from 2015-2017.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 30
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)