Aug 1, 2014, 12:16 PM EST
This was supposed to be Jurickson Profar‘s breakout season and his presence played a part in the Rangers’ willingness to trade second baseman Ian Kinsler, but instead the 21-year-old former top prospect is going to end up missing the entire season.
Profar held his own as a 20-year-old rookie last season, but shoulder problems sidelined him during spring training and he never got healthy, eventually undergoing surgery. Calvin Watkins of ESPN Dallas reports that he’s been ruled out for the remainder of the season and isn’t even scheduled to begin a throwing program until mid-August at the earliest.
If all goes well the Rangers plan for Profar to recoup some of the at-bats he missed by playing instructional league ball in October, followed by winter ball. And hopefully he’ll be at full strength in spring training.
Just one of many reasons why 2014 has been a mess for the Rangers.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 0
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 9
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)