Manny Machado makes another ridiculous throw

Aug 1, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT

Two nights ago we had a post entitledManny Machado makes a ridiculous throw” that showed video of the Orioles third baseman doing spectacular things defensively.

Well, he did it again last night. And just like the first time, the batter robbed of a hit by Machado was Albert Pujols.

I particularly enjoyed the second one because Machado snowcones the ball, goes way into foul territory, sets himself … and still throws out Pujols. Which perhaps says as much about Pujols’ speed as it does Machado’s arm.

1. icanspeel - Aug 1, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Great throw, but if I was running I’d beat out the hit

2. jm91rs - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:04 AM

If he could throw bats as well as he throws balls Josh Donaldson would be dead.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:21 AM

• nvl004 - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Josh Donaldson wasn’t even on the field when the bat was thrown. so your comment was a fail.

• blacksables - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:31 AM

He’s served his punishment. Let it go.

• jm91rs - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:09 PM

No, I’m holding onto it so tight. I’ll never let it go….or every so often I’ll remember that he threw a bat at someone and have a laugh about it. You don’t have to hold a grudge to remember that someone did something stupid once.

• blacksables - Aug 1, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Wow, holding a grudge against someone who’s never done anything to you.

I hope you don’t work at the post office.

• jm91rs - Aug 1, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I’m sorry, was my sarcasm font broken when I said I’m holding onto it so tight? Did my comment that you don’t have to hold a grudge sound like I was holding a grudge?

• jm91rs - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Ouch, I guess I butchered that one and people really do love Machado.

3. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:11 AM

This was his 4th or 5th amazing play in the span of two days. Not including the walk-off homerun. The fans bowing to him was completely and totally perfect. He really has been giving a clinic. Also, your welcome Aaron for the tip on the play. (I posted this first in ATH) :P

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Seriously. Look how many plays he’s had the past week. It’s really quite impressive. After a very slow start to the season he’s starting to look like a Gold Glove contender again.

4. khar9 - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Pedro Alvarez has a stronger arm , proves his arm strength by throwing balls into stands

5. tearlw - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:21 AM

I love Gary Thorne. “Oh, boy. Here we go…” Classic.

• psuorioles - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:49 PM

A lot of O’s fans don’t like Gary, but I for one love him as an announcer… he keeps you on your toes and makes the game fun.

• jpalughi823 - Aug 2, 2014 at 9:43 AM

them people are fools then. gary is a a lot of fun…i love his whiskey laugh as well haha

6. Bob Loblaw - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:28 AM

“Which perhaps says as much about Pujols’ speed as it does Machado’s arm.”

This. He’s a great defensive 3B no doubt, but on this play in particular, it was only possible because it was Pujols hobbling down the line.

• nvl004 - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:32 AM

True but don’t overlook the fact the Manny had the presence of mind to realize this and take his time to make a good throw.

• 18thstreet - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:40 AM

His job is to know who is hitting. Give him a zillion points for this play, and zero bonus points for having the presence of mind to blah blah blah.

It’s Albert [Expletive Deleted] Pujols. Machado should surely know a thing or two about him by now, given that he’s one of the most famous players in baseball and has been from the moment Machado probably started paying close attention to MLB (Machado was nine when Albert won the Rookie of the Year). Of course he knew who was running. Sheesh.

• nvl004 - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:46 AM

lol relax man. at least 3 or 4 times a night a guy rushes a throw in which he could have taken his time to make that throw better. And a couple times a week that results in an error. So in the comments section of a baseball blog I was discussing a baseball play.

7. racksie - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Give Machado credit for knowing who was running up the line. He beat him by about half a step, and that throw was a bullet. Guy is pretty amazing.

• 18thstreet - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Yes, we should all be impressed that Machado knows who Albert Pujols is. I wonder how he could have possibly gleaned this hard-to-find information!

• jm91rs - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:14 PM

So at what point are we allowed to give a guy credit? Or are you just in a bad mood today?

8. bubbalynch - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:08 PM

It’s only a great throw because Pujols was slugging it to 1st base. Let’s get that clear.

9. bfunk1978 - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:20 PM

It’s almost like people don’t read the comments before making one.

10. goodellisruiningtheleague - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:31 PM

machado > ripken

• nvl004 - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:42 PM

at 3B he is.

• goodellisruiningtheleague - Aug 8, 2014 at 9:14 AM

I’d take Machado before Ripken 10 times out of 10.

11. wastelandhound - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:33 PM

It’s almost like people don’t read the comments before making one.

• nvl004 - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:43 PM

thank you for this.

12. dowhatifeellike - Aug 1, 2014 at 12:51 PM

He was 0-6 with 4Ks in the game, but he made 3 really good plays. Even trade. I’ll take it.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3081)