Aug 1, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Not a hard call. The team needs to clear roster space for Emilio Bonifacio and James Russell and Schafer is hitting .163/.256/.213. And he committed a dumb base running mistake the other night, violating the well-known rule about how, if you’re not producing at work, at least don’t get noticed.
Schafer still has legs and can man center field in a manner approximating a baseball player, so he’ll likely catch on someplace else, even if it’s just a minor league gig.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)