Aug 1, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Not a hard call. The team needs to clear roster space for Emilio Bonifacio and James Russell and Schafer is hitting .163/.256/.213. And he committed a dumb base running mistake the other night, violating the well-known rule about how, if you’re not producing at work, at least don’t get noticed.
Schafer still has legs and can man center field in a manner approximating a baseball player, so he’ll likely catch on someplace else, even if it’s just a minor league gig.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)