Aug 1, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Not a hard call. The team needs to clear roster space for Emilio Bonifacio and James Russell and Schafer is hitting .163/.256/.213. And he committed a dumb base running mistake the other night, violating the well-known rule about how, if you’re not producing at work, at least don’t get noticed.
Schafer still has legs and can man center field in a manner approximating a baseball player, so he’ll likely catch on someplace else, even if it’s just a minor league gig.
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 4
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)