VIDEO: Mookie Betts robs Jacoby Ellsbury of extra bases with leaping catch

Aug 1, 2014, 11:19 PM EST

Watch as Red Sox rookie Mookie Betts gets on his horse to rob Yankees outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury of extra bases with a leaping catch…

If Betts would have come up empty-handed there, Ellsbury likely would have had a triple. And who knows, with a couple of bad bounces in that center field area, it might have been an inside-the-park home run. This play (which occurred with nobody out in the eighth inning) ended up looking pretty huge, as the Red Sox won the game 4-3.

1. slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:42 PM

I am really hoping they all gel really quick and just win series against playoff bound teams. I have no delusions of them making the post season this year,but I would just love for them to make everyone else miserable too. If my laundry must suffer,other peoples laundry must suffer also.

2. drewzducks - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Sox ended the game with 5 rookies plus Middlebrooks in the field. Also, the rookie Reneaudo got the start and win. Play the kids the last two months and see what happens.

• jcmeyer10 - Aug 2, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Way more fun to watch at least.

3. themagicfanguy - Aug 1, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Why is there nothing but comments about Mo Williams on a Sox article? Ridiculous.

• sabatimus - Aug 2, 2014 at 2:03 AM

What the bloody hell are you talking about?

• theurnhelm - Aug 2, 2014 at 10:44 AM

They look similar to each other. It was a bad joke.

4. slappymcknucklepunch - Aug 2, 2014 at 2:20 AM

If Mookie Betts is such a monster in CF(yes I know small sample size)then this bodes well for the outfield next year.

• theurnhelm - Aug 2, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I would assume that Bradley Jr. has CF locked up, at least defensively, at this point. I agree, though, that the depth would be fantastic.

5. raiderufan - Aug 2, 2014 at 7:22 AM

I am so sad that a crazy summer kept me from getting to Portland to watch this kid. Seen a lot of them come up thru here but missed him.

This kid looks special!

6. titansbro - Aug 2, 2014 at 7:26 AM

I don’t think Betts will be taking Bradley’s spot in CF but the kid is making a case that he must be on the field somewhere.

• pastabelly - Aug 2, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Bradley will have NO place in the major leagues if he can’t hit. HITTING and scoring runs was the major problem with the Red Sox this season and Bradley was one of the most guilty parties. I don’t know if Betts is the answer, but Bradley surely is not. The Red Sox offense was terrible and they traded their rotation to get some hitting. In the offseason, I hope they are prepared to pay through the nose for Scherzer, Lester, or Shields. It’s not as if the market is going to come down.

• theurnhelm - Aug 2, 2014 at 10:51 AM

If the Sox are able to upgrade the rest of the lineup around him? They can absolutely stand to have Bradley at 8 or 9 for the defense he’s shown this year.

Assuming of course that he doesn’t figure out how to get on base consistently.

7. RoyHobbs39 - Aug 2, 2014 at 7:27 AM

What a great read on that ball.

8. matt14gg - Aug 2, 2014 at 7:32 AM

This kid deserves a ton of credit…he’s not an outfielder and honestly he’s not ready for the big leagues yet, but due to circumstances he’s the starting centerfielder for the Boston Red Sox. The only thing you hope is he doesn’t get down on himself if things go bad. You can see his inexperience a bit on his first step (and hesitation) on fly balls, but there’s no question he can go get it. He and the team need to look at this as nothing more than a guy being thrown into the fire…in no way is this season make or break. He’s going to be an excellent player.

• drewsylvania - Aug 2, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I dunno, he might be ready. He showed no sign of slowing down when jumping from A+ to AA to AAA. Plus, he’s only had 40 pro games in CF.

9. 1historian - Aug 2, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Terrific catch.

Many years ago I was in D.C. and I went to a nightclub to hear the Charlie Byrd (jazz) Trio, and there was a guy named Keeter Betts on bass. I wonder if the two might be related.

It’s only August 1 – this is not over yet. Stranger things have happened.

• asimonetti88 - Aug 2, 2014 at 6:10 PM

His uncle is Terry Shumpert

10. pastabelly - Aug 2, 2014 at 10:16 AM

That idiot Jerry Remy didn’t think much of the catch claiming he jumped too early. Give me a break. Great play all the way.

• bbgraf08 - Aug 2, 2014 at 10:29 AM

“Tremendous play by Mookie Betts” – Remy
      “Great concentration by Betts to make that catch” – Remy

Relax

• theurnhelm - Aug 2, 2014 at 10:52 AM

but…he did jump early. Isn’t he supposed to provide that commentary? Or is he supposed to be a fan?

• drewsylvania - Aug 2, 2014 at 11:27 AM

He did jump too early.

• Bryz - Aug 2, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Not saying this happened to Betts, but let me pose a hypothetical play to you… If an outfielder takes a terrible route to the ball and makes a diving catch, is the announcer supposed to commend him for his dive, or chastise him for getting a terrible read on the ball? I’d rather the announcer be honest instead of a homer.

11. themagicfanguy - Aug 2, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Strange…when I originally read the comments section it had ProBasketballTalk comments on here instead. Everyone was talking about Mo Williams.

12. fathersworkandfamily - Aug 2, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Betts, Holt and Bogarts all mad great defensively plays for the Sox.
    Headley made 3 great defensive plays for the Yanks.

A fun game to watch.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5325)
  2. M. Kemp (3152)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2887)
  4. C. McGehee (2883)