Aug 2, 2014, 3:01 PM EST
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels have claimed infielder Ryan Wheeler off of waivers from the Rockies and assigned him to Triple-A Salt Lake. The club also designated pitcher David Carpenter for assignment.
The Rockies designated Wheeler for assignment on Thursday to create room for pitcher Pedro Hernandez on the roster for his start on Thursday. Wheeler, 26, has played with the Diamondbacks and the Rockies over parts of the last three seasons. He posted a paltry .232/.281/.375 slash line with two home runs and 13 RBI in 64 plate appearances this season.
Carpenter, 26, made one relief appearance at the major league level for the Angels, throwing three shutout innings on June 27 against the Royals. Between Double-A Arkansas and Triple-A Salt Lake, the right-hander posted a 2.25 ERA with a 46/21 K/BB ratio in 48 innings, mostly in relief.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)