Aug 2, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels have claimed infielder Ryan Wheeler off of waivers from the Rockies and assigned him to Triple-A Salt Lake. The club also designated pitcher David Carpenter for assignment.
The Rockies designated Wheeler for assignment on Thursday to create room for pitcher Pedro Hernandez on the roster for his start on Thursday. Wheeler, 26, has played with the Diamondbacks and the Rockies over parts of the last three seasons. He posted a paltry .232/.281/.375 slash line with two home runs and 13 RBI in 64 plate appearances this season.
Carpenter, 26, made one relief appearance at the major league level for the Angels, throwing three shutout innings on June 27 against the Royals. Between Double-A Arkansas and Triple-A Salt Lake, the right-hander posted a 2.25 ERA with a 46/21 K/BB ratio in 48 innings, mostly in relief.
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 3
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 23
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)