Aug 2, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels have claimed infielder Ryan Wheeler off of waivers from the Rockies and assigned him to Triple-A Salt Lake. The club also designated pitcher David Carpenter for assignment.
The Rockies designated Wheeler for assignment on Thursday to create room for pitcher Pedro Hernandez on the roster for his start on Thursday. Wheeler, 26, has played with the Diamondbacks and the Rockies over parts of the last three seasons. He posted a paltry .232/.281/.375 slash line with two home runs and 13 RBI in 64 plate appearances this season.
Carpenter, 26, made one relief appearance at the major league level for the Angels, throwing three shutout innings on June 27 against the Royals. Between Double-A Arkansas and Triple-A Salt Lake, the right-hander posted a 2.25 ERA with a 46/21 K/BB ratio in 48 innings, mostly in relief.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 62
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)