Aug 2, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels have claimed infielder Ryan Wheeler off of waivers from the Rockies and assigned him to Triple-A Salt Lake. The club also designated pitcher David Carpenter for assignment.
The Rockies designated Wheeler for assignment on Thursday to create room for pitcher Pedro Hernandez on the roster for his start on Thursday. Wheeler, 26, has played with the Diamondbacks and the Rockies over parts of the last three seasons. He posted a paltry .232/.281/.375 slash line with two home runs and 13 RBI in 64 plate appearances this season.
Carpenter, 26, made one relief appearance at the major league level for the Angels, throwing three shutout innings on June 27 against the Royals. Between Double-A Arkansas and Triple-A Salt Lake, the right-hander posted a 2.25 ERA with a 46/21 K/BB ratio in 48 innings, mostly in relief.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)