Aug 2, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Athletics manager Bob Melvin told the media that utilityman Nick Punto will go on the 15-day disabled list after straining his right hamstring in Saturday afternoon’s game against the Royals, per MLB.com’s Jane Lee. Punto appeared to suffer the injury rounding third on Jed Lowrie‘s RBI single. Eric Sogard came in to run for Punto and later scored on Josh Donaldson‘s bases-loaded walk.
Punto, 36, hasn’t done much at the plate for the Athletics this season, mustering a measly .203/.299/.277 slash line in 202 plate appearances. However, he has served at a number of positions and played by most accounts above-average defense.
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 30
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 14
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86