Aug 2, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Athletics manager Bob Melvin told the media that utilityman Nick Punto will go on the 15-day disabled list after straining his right hamstring in Saturday afternoon’s game against the Royals, per MLB.com’s Jane Lee. Punto appeared to suffer the injury rounding third on Jed Lowrie‘s RBI single. Eric Sogard came in to run for Punto and later scored on Josh Donaldson‘s bases-loaded walk.
Punto, 36, hasn’t done much at the plate for the Athletics this season, mustering a measly .203/.299/.277 slash line in 202 plate appearances. However, he has served at a number of positions and played by most accounts above-average defense.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)