Aug 2, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Athletics manager Bob Melvin told the media that utilityman Nick Punto will go on the 15-day disabled list after straining his right hamstring in Saturday afternoon’s game against the Royals, per MLB.com’s Jane Lee. Punto appeared to suffer the injury rounding third on Jed Lowrie‘s RBI single. Eric Sogard came in to run for Punto and later scored on Josh Donaldson‘s bases-loaded walk.
Punto, 36, hasn’t done much at the plate for the Athletics this season, mustering a measly .203/.299/.277 slash line in 202 plate appearances. However, he has served at a number of positions and played by most accounts above-average defense.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 35
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 23
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)