Aug 2, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer isn’t expected to require surgery to repair the stress fracture he suffered in his right hand. Hosmer’s CT scan went as expected, leaving him with the initial timetable of four to six weeks. The Royals certainly prefer to get him back in September than having him miss the rest of the season.
In Hosmer’s absence, the Royals will use Billy Butler and Raul Ibanez at first base. Prior to landing on the disabled list, the 24-year-old had put together a disappointing .267/.312/.377 slash line with six home runs and 46 RBI.
Hosmer, earning $3.6 million this season, will be eligible for arbitration for the second of four years after the season.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 155
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (155)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)