Aug 2, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer isn’t expected to require surgery to repair the stress fracture he suffered in his right hand. Hosmer’s CT scan went as expected, leaving him with the initial timetable of four to six weeks. The Royals certainly prefer to get him back in September than having him miss the rest of the season.
In Hosmer’s absence, the Royals will use Billy Butler and Raul Ibanez at first base. Prior to landing on the disabled list, the 24-year-old had put together a disappointing .267/.312/.377 slash line with six home runs and 46 RBI.
Hosmer, earning $3.6 million this season, will be eligible for arbitration for the second of four years after the season.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 90
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 63
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (104)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)