Aug 2, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer isn’t expected to require surgery to repair the stress fracture he suffered in his right hand. Hosmer’s CT scan went as expected, leaving him with the initial timetable of four to six weeks. The Royals certainly prefer to get him back in September than having him miss the rest of the season.
In Hosmer’s absence, the Royals will use Billy Butler and Raul Ibanez at first base. Prior to landing on the disabled list, the 24-year-old had put together a disappointing .267/.312/.377 slash line with six home runs and 46 RBI.
Hosmer, earning $3.6 million this season, will be eligible for arbitration for the second of four years after the season.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)