Aug 2, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer isn’t expected to require surgery to repair the stress fracture he suffered in his right hand. Hosmer’s CT scan went as expected, leaving him with the initial timetable of four to six weeks. The Royals certainly prefer to get him back in September than having him miss the rest of the season.
In Hosmer’s absence, the Royals will use Billy Butler and Raul Ibanez at first base. Prior to landing on the disabled list, the 24-year-old had put together a disappointing .267/.312/.377 slash line with six home runs and 46 RBI.
Hosmer, earning $3.6 million this season, will be eligible for arbitration for the second of four years after the season.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)