Aug 2, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT
Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star reports that Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer isn’t expected to require surgery to repair the stress fracture he suffered in his right hand. Hosmer’s CT scan went as expected, leaving him with the initial timetable of four to six weeks. The Royals certainly prefer to get him back in September than having him miss the rest of the season.
In Hosmer’s absence, the Royals will use Billy Butler and Raul Ibanez at first base. Prior to landing on the disabled list, the 24-year-old had put together a disappointing .267/.312/.377 slash line with six home runs and 46 RBI.
Hosmer, earning $3.6 million this season, will be eligible for arbitration for the second of four years after the season.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)