Aug 2, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
Gerrit Cole tossed five scoreless innings Monday in his first minor league rehab start with Triple-A Indianapolis, but his timeline for rejoining the Pirates’ rotation is suddenly up in the air.
According to Tom Singer and Teddy Cahill of MLB.com, Cole has been scratched from his scheduled rehab start tonight. It’s unclear whether he suffered a setback with his strained right lat muscle or when he might pitch in another game. This vague message is all beat reporters were given.
In a text message shared with reporters, Buccos general manager Neal Huntington wrote, “After Gerrit’s last outing and last bullpen, we decided another bullpen to refine some things was the best course of action.”
Pirates fans will have to hope that this is as harmless as it sounds.
Cole, who has missed nearly a month, owns a 3.78 ERA and 78/29 K/BB ratio in 85 2/3 innings across 14 starts this season. He had another stint on the DL earlier this year due to shoulder fatigue.
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 12
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (104)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)