Aug 2, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
Gerrit Cole tossed five scoreless innings Monday in his first minor league rehab start with Triple-A Indianapolis, but his timeline for rejoining the Pirates’ rotation is suddenly up in the air.
According to Tom Singer and Teddy Cahill of MLB.com, Cole has been scratched from his scheduled rehab start tonight. It’s unclear whether he suffered a setback with his strained right lat muscle or when he might pitch in another game. This vague message is all beat reporters were given.
In a text message shared with reporters, Buccos general manager Neal Huntington wrote, “After Gerrit’s last outing and last bullpen, we decided another bullpen to refine some things was the best course of action.”
Pirates fans will have to hope that this is as harmless as it sounds.
Cole, who has missed nearly a month, owns a 3.78 ERA and 78/29 K/BB ratio in 85 2/3 innings across 14 starts this season. He had another stint on the DL earlier this year due to shoulder fatigue.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)