Aug 2, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
The Mariners made a handful of roster moves on Saturday afternoon, per Shannon Drayer of MyNorthwest.com. The club has outrighted pitcher Blake Beavan from the 40-man roster after he cleared waivers and placed DH Corey Hart on the disabled list with a right knee contusion. With the extra roster space, the Mariners activated pitcher James Paxton from the 60-day disabled list.
Paxton, 25, has been on the disabled list since April 9 with a strained lat in his left shoulder. The lefty made only two starts prior to the injury, allowing three runs over 12 innings with a 13/2 K/BB ratio.
Hart, 32, missed 42 games with a stint on the DL between May 19 and July 3 with a strained left hamstring. It is no surprise that the oft-injured veteran is back on the DL. He has slashed a disappointing .203/.278/.314 with five home runs and 20 RBI in his first season with the Mariners after signing a one-year, $6 million deal back in December.
Beavan, 25, has missed most of the season with an impingement in his right shoulder. He made one start for the Mariners in the big leagues, allowing two runs over four innings against the Rangers on April 15. In 21 non-rehab innings in the minors, Beavan has a 2.14 ERA with a 14/9 K/BB ratio.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)