Aug 2, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
The Mariners made a handful of roster moves on Saturday afternoon, per Shannon Drayer of MyNorthwest.com. The club has outrighted pitcher Blake Beavan from the 40-man roster after he cleared waivers and placed DH Corey Hart on the disabled list with a right knee contusion. With the extra roster space, the Mariners activated pitcher James Paxton from the 60-day disabled list.
Paxton, 25, has been on the disabled list since April 9 with a strained lat in his left shoulder. The lefty made only two starts prior to the injury, allowing three runs over 12 innings with a 13/2 K/BB ratio.
Hart, 32, missed 42 games with a stint on the DL between May 19 and July 3 with a strained left hamstring. It is no surprise that the oft-injured veteran is back on the DL. He has slashed a disappointing .203/.278/.314 with five home runs and 20 RBI in his first season with the Mariners after signing a one-year, $6 million deal back in December.
Beavan, 25, has missed most of the season with an impingement in his right shoulder. He made one start for the Mariners in the big leagues, allowing two runs over four innings against the Rangers on April 15. In 21 non-rehab innings in the minors, Beavan has a 2.14 ERA with a 14/9 K/BB ratio.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 10
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (77)