Aug 2, 2014, 1:25 PM EST
Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox have placed catcher David Ross on the 15-day disabled list after rupturing the plantar fascia in his right foot. To take his spot on the roster, the Red Sox called up catcher Dan Butler from Triple-A Pawtucket.
Ross, 37, was making his first start since July 28 and aggravated the injury last night against the Yankees, exiting in the seventh inning. He split time behind the plate with A.J. Pierzynski and, following Pierzynski’s release, Christian Vazquez. Ross has managed a meager .192/.255/.384 slash line with six home runs and 12 RBI in 139 plate appearances.
Butler, 27, has a .227/.306/.338 line with four home runs and 28 RBI in 297 plate appearances with Pawtucket.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)