Aug 2, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox have placed catcher David Ross on the 15-day disabled list after rupturing the plantar fascia in his right foot. To take his spot on the roster, the Red Sox called up catcher Dan Butler from Triple-A Pawtucket.
Ross, 37, was making his first start since July 28 and aggravated the injury last night against the Yankees, exiting in the seventh inning. He split time behind the plate with A.J. Pierzynski and, following Pierzynski’s release, Christian Vazquez. Ross has managed a meager .192/.255/.384 slash line with six home runs and 12 RBI in 139 plate appearances.
Butler, 27, has a .227/.306/.338 line with four home runs and 28 RBI in 297 plate appearances with Pawtucket.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)