Aug 2, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Jane Lee reports that the Reds have claimed infielder Jake Elmore off of waivers from the Athletics. The A’s designated Elmore for assignment on July 31. To make room for Elmore on the roster, the Reds designated pitcher Nick Christiani for assignment.
Though Elmore, 27, hasn’t done much at the plate at the big league level, he has historically performed well at Triple-A and can play any position on the diamond — he both pitched an inning of relief and caught in a blowout for the Astros last season.
Elmore slashed .282/.374/.365 with 18 RBI and nine stolen bases in 211 plate appearances with Triple-A Sacramento this season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 7
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 8
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)