Aug 2, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Jane Lee reports that the Reds have claimed infielder Jake Elmore off of waivers from the Athletics. The A’s designated Elmore for assignment on July 31. To make room for Elmore on the roster, the Reds designated pitcher Nick Christiani for assignment.
Though Elmore, 27, hasn’t done much at the plate at the big league level, he has historically performed well at Triple-A and can play any position on the diamond — he both pitched an inning of relief and caught in a blowout for the Astros last season.
Elmore slashed .282/.374/.365 with 18 RBI and nine stolen bases in 211 plate appearances with Triple-A Sacramento this season.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 33
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)