Aug 2, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Jane Lee reports that the Reds have claimed infielder Jake Elmore off of waivers from the Athletics. The A’s designated Elmore for assignment on July 31. To make room for Elmore on the roster, the Reds designated pitcher Nick Christiani for assignment.
Though Elmore, 27, hasn’t done much at the plate at the big league level, he has historically performed well at Triple-A and can play any position on the diamond — he both pitched an inning of relief and caught in a blowout for the Astros last season.
Elmore slashed .282/.374/.365 with 18 RBI and nine stolen bases in 211 plate appearances with Triple-A Sacramento this season.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)