Aug 2, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Jane Lee reports that the Reds have claimed infielder Jake Elmore off of waivers from the Athletics. The A’s designated Elmore for assignment on July 31. To make room for Elmore on the roster, the Reds designated pitcher Nick Christiani for assignment.
Though Elmore, 27, hasn’t done much at the plate at the big league level, he has historically performed well at Triple-A and can play any position on the diamond — he both pitched an inning of relief and caught in a blowout for the Astros last season.
Elmore slashed .282/.374/.365 with 18 RBI and nine stolen bases in 211 plate appearances with Triple-A Sacramento this season.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)