Aug 2, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
With their ace Adam Wainwright on the hill, the Cardinals had a chance to move within one game of first place in the National League Central last night. Of course, as things often go in baseball, it didn’t work out that way.
The Brewers scored seven runs off Wainwright in a 7-4 victory over the Cardinals at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. Aramis Ramirez led the charge for Milwaukee’s offense by going 3-for-5 with a solo homer and an RBI double, but five Brewers had at least two hits.
Wily Peralta allowed two runs over 6 2/3 innings for his 13th victory. Matt Carpenter made things a little interesting in the ninth inning when he delivered a two-run triple, so Ron Roenicke was forced to bring in Francisco Rodriguez, but he managed to get Kolten Wong to ground out to end the ballgame.
The Brewers now have a three-game lead over the Cardinals in the NL Central. They’ll look to create some more distance tonight when they send Kyle Lohse up against Justin Masterson, who will be making his Cardinals debut.
Your Friday box scores:
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (100)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)