Aug 2, 2014, 8:56 AM EST
With their ace Adam Wainwright on the hill, the Cardinals had a chance to move within one game of first place in the National League Central last night. Of course, as things often go in baseball, it didn’t work out that way.
The Brewers scored seven runs off Wainwright in a 7-4 victory over the Cardinals at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. Aramis Ramirez led the charge for Milwaukee’s offense by going 3-for-5 with a solo homer and an RBI double, but five Brewers had at least two hits.
Wily Peralta allowed two runs over 6 2/3 innings for his 13th victory. Matt Carpenter made things a little interesting in the ninth inning when he delivered a two-run triple, so Ron Roenicke was forced to bring in Francisco Rodriguez, but he managed to get Kolten Wong to ground out to end the ballgame.
The Brewers now have a three-game lead over the Cardinals in the NL Central. They’ll look to create some more distance tonight when they send Kyle Lohse up against Justin Masterson, who will be making his Cardinals debut.
Your Friday box scores:
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)