Aug 2, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
The Red Sox may not get Shane Victorino back this season. The outfielder has been bothered by back soreness and recently went back on the disabled list. Results of a recent MRI were worse than expected, per Tim Britton of the Providence Journal, so Victorino will see a doctor in Los Angeles for a second opinion (this, per the Boston Herald’s Scott Lauber). Surgery is a possible outcome.
Victorino, 33, has only accrued 133 plate appearances on the season, mustering a meager .268/.303/.382 line with a pair of home runs and stolen bases, and 12 RBI. He will enter the final year of a three-year, $39 million contract with the Red Sox, earning $13 million in 2015.
The Red Sox outfield has been a bit of a shambles this season, but they plan to use the recently-acquired Yoenis Cespedes in right field going forward, though he’s starting in left field today against the Yankees.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 286
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (286)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)