Aug 2, 2014, 10:58 AM EDT
Remember on Thursday I relayed a story from Jane Lee of MLB.com about Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski sending some good-natured smack talk to Athletics general manager Billy Beane? Awesome story, right? Unfortunately, it didn’t exactly go down as originally reported.
According to Matthew B. Mowery of the Oakland Press, it was actually Beane who sent a message to Dombrowski after the David Price deal. And it was more complimentary than anything else.
“And you only gave me a minute to try and get Chris Sale. I’m not surprised. You know how to make the big deal. Well done.”
So, that’s that. Some nice, healthy respect between two quality baseball people. It’s cool to see. Still, I plan to continue pretending that Dombrowski teases Beane regularly and texts things like “AthLOLetics” when they make errors. More fun that way.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 12
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)