Aug 2, 2014, 10:58 AM EDT
Remember on Thursday I relayed a story from Jane Lee of MLB.com about Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski sending some good-natured smack talk to Athletics general manager Billy Beane? Awesome story, right? Unfortunately, it didn’t exactly go down as originally reported.
According to Matthew B. Mowery of the Oakland Press, it was actually Beane who sent a message to Dombrowski after the David Price deal. And it was more complimentary than anything else.
“And you only gave me a minute to try and get Chris Sale. I’m not surprised. You know how to make the big deal. Well done.”
So, that’s that. Some nice, healthy respect between two quality baseball people. It’s cool to see. Still, I plan to continue pretending that Dombrowski teases Beane regularly and texts things like “AthLOLetics” when they make errors. More fun that way.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)