Aug 2, 2014, 10:58 AM EDT
Remember on Thursday I relayed a story from Jane Lee of MLB.com about Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski sending some good-natured smack talk to Athletics general manager Billy Beane? Awesome story, right? Unfortunately, it didn’t exactly go down as originally reported.
According to Matthew B. Mowery of the Oakland Press, it was actually Beane who sent a message to Dombrowski after the David Price deal. And it was more complimentary than anything else.
“And you only gave me a minute to try and get Chris Sale. I’m not surprised. You know how to make the big deal. Well done.”
So, that’s that. Some nice, healthy respect between two quality baseball people. It’s cool to see. Still, I plan to continue pretending that Dombrowski teases Beane regularly and texts things like “AthLOLetics” when they make errors. More fun that way.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 0
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 7
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 31
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)