Aug 2, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT
Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig was forced to leave last night’s game against the Cubs due to mild left hamstring soreness, but he did something pretty amazing prior his early exit.
Bottom of the sixth inning, runners on first and second with one out. Hanley Ramirez hits a ground ball to third baseman Luis Valbuena, who threw to second base for the force out. Second baseman Arismendy Alcantara threw to first to attempt to complete the double play, but Ramirez beat the throw. Puig, who was on second base when the play began, decided to come all the way home. And that’s when it got interesting.
The call was confirmed on replay. This is one of those situations where it would have looked pretty bad if Puig was thrown out, but he managed to make it into something spectacular. In other words, business as usual for him.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 18
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 5
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 86
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)