Aug 2, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT
Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig was forced to leave last night’s game against the Cubs due to mild left hamstring soreness, but he did something pretty amazing prior his early exit.
Bottom of the sixth inning, runners on first and second with one out. Hanley Ramirez hits a ground ball to third baseman Luis Valbuena, who threw to second base for the force out. Second baseman Arismendy Alcantara threw to first to attempt to complete the double play, but Ramirez beat the throw. Puig, who was on second base when the play began, decided to come all the way home. And that’s when it got interesting.
The call was confirmed on replay. This is one of those situations where it would have looked pretty bad if Puig was thrown out, but he managed to make it into something spectacular. In other words, business as usual for him.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69