Aug 2, 2014, 10:12 AM EST
Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig was forced to leave last night’s game against the Cubs due to mild left hamstring soreness, but he did something pretty amazing prior his early exit.
Bottom of the sixth inning, runners on first and second with one out. Hanley Ramirez hits a ground ball to third baseman Luis Valbuena, who threw to second base for the force out. Second baseman Arismendy Alcantara threw to first to attempt to complete the double play, but Ramirez beat the throw. Puig, who was on second base when the play began, decided to come all the way home. And that’s when it got interesting.
The call was confirmed on replay. This is one of those situations where it would have looked pretty bad if Puig was thrown out, but he managed to make it into something spectacular. In other words, business as usual for him.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)