Aug 2, 2014, 10:12 AM EST
Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig was forced to leave last night’s game against the Cubs due to mild left hamstring soreness, but he did something pretty amazing prior his early exit.
Bottom of the sixth inning, runners on first and second with one out. Hanley Ramirez hits a ground ball to third baseman Luis Valbuena, who threw to second base for the force out. Second baseman Arismendy Alcantara threw to first to attempt to complete the double play, but Ramirez beat the throw. Puig, who was on second base when the play began, decided to come all the way home. And that’s when it got interesting.
The call was confirmed on replay. This is one of those situations where it would have looked pretty bad if Puig was thrown out, but he managed to make it into something spectacular. In other words, business as usual for him.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)