Aug 3, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
Bartolo Colon, still a Met after frequently being mentioned in trade talks leading up to Thursday’s deadline, will go for his 200th career win when he faces the Giants and Madison Bumgarner on Sunday.
Whether it comes today or next week, Colon should become the third active pitcher at 200, joining Tim Hudson (213) and CC Sabathia (208). Mark Buehrle is right behind him at 197 after beating Boston last time out (snapping a nine-start winless streak).
After those two, it’ll be a while before anyone gets to 200. A.J. Burnett is next at 153 wins, but he’s not going to stick around long enough. Justin Verlander, at 147, should be next in line. John Lackey (149), Cliff Lee (143) and Kyle Lohse (140) might get there someday, but several of the game’s elite pitchers (Felix Hernandez, Zack Greinke, Adam Wainwright, Jon Lester) are still in the 110-120 range right now.
Colon will also be the third Dominican-born pitcher to get to 200 wins, joining Hall of Famer Juan Marichal (243) and Pedro Martinez (219).
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 4
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)