Jon Lester takes out full-page ad to thank Red Sox fans

Aug 3, 2014, 9:23 AM EST

After nine years, 110 wins and two world championships with the Red Sox, Jon Lester was traded to Oakland prior to Thursday’s trade deadline. On Sunday, he took out a full-page ad in the Boston Globe to thank Red Sox Nation for the memories.

source:

It doesn’t really seem like the action of a pitcher who is set to re-sign with a club in free agency, though Lester was quoted in the Globe, saying he hasn’t ruled that out.

“Anything is possible,” Lester stated. “Obviously that’s still my family. I still got a lot of guys over there that I consider my family. I think when it comes down to it, if they [Red Sox front office] are competitive and we feel like it’s right, then absolutely, the relationship could continue.”

Lester notched a win in his A’s debut Saturday after allowing three runs in 6 2/3 innings against the Royals.

1. pinkfloydprism - Aug 3, 2014 at 9:29 AM

He will be back…as a member of a visiting team.

2. thejunkballs - Aug 3, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Reblogged this on THE JUNKBALLER and commented:
    Interesting. Certainly seems like he’s simply gonna go for the money this winter. As a Jays fan, I’d like to see him not return to the AL East, he always seems to dominate Toronto.

3. thatsnuckinfuts - Aug 3, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Wait what? No promise to be back next year?

• stoutfiles - Aug 3, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Obviously he doesn’t want to get lowballed by Boston. If they’re the highest bidders, he’ll go back. If not, probably not.

4. Glenn - Aug 3, 2014 at 9:32 AM

That he is a class act who really wanted to stay in Boston makes it all the tougher to see him go. I hope he gets another ring this year.

5. professor30 - Aug 3, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Nothing but respect for Jon Lester, especially after the health scare he went through in his early years with the Sox. Class act, good teammate, always gave 100 % on the mound, please come back Jon.

• Glenn - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:02 AM

I wish he were coming back, but I doubt the Sox will offer anything close to the years and money he is going to be offered on the open market. He will take a home town discount, but he isn’t insane. It will be a wise decision for both parties.

• joestemme - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Class act.

But, Glenn hit the nail on the head. It’s the years. Sox would give him top dollar for 2 years, maaaabe 3, but, Lester will want 4 to 5.

6. historiophiliac - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Thursday, he’s traded. Saturday, he feels how it is to win again, and Sunday, he says “Thanks for everything, Sox fans. Bye.”

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:05 PM

I hope you get a lot of use out of your Heterochromia goggles this offseason, because Max and Lester are going to be the Sawks’ 1-2 starters next season.

• historiophiliac - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:11 PM

You may get my Max but you’ll never get my goggles!

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM

I’m handy and unoriginal, I’ll just make my own goggles. ‘Cept I’ll use the bottoms of beer bottles (one Guiness one Bud Platinum) so they can also be beer goggles. ;-)

• historiophiliac - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Don’t cut yourself passing out when you celebrate your alleged signings and watch out for your wallet, whoever you end up with in your goggly state.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:32 PM

/googles wallet chains and safe ways to cut beer bottles

• historiophiliac - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:06 PM

You know, if you actually figure out a good way to make those, you will sell a million. Heck, I’d buy a pair. …though it could make for really awkward next mornings…

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Uh, what, these? No, I wasn’t wearing them when we met, of course not.

• historiophiliac - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:28 PM

No, I was passing them out to increase my chances. Imma need those back now. Thanks.

7. DavieO - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM

It’s not the dollars per year that will be an issue bringing him back, I could see it going as high as $25-30m per. It will be the length of the deal that will be the issue, Boston probably won’t go longer than 4 years and he will have offers of 6-7 years on the table.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I’m pretty sure Lester isn’t a $25-$30m a year guy.

He’s not on the level of Hernandez and Verlander (or where he was when he signed his deal).

Don’t get me wrong, I want the guy back in Boston. But I can’t see him pulling those figures. Especially when he’s only once gotten even a sniff of Cy Young talk.

• DavieO - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I agree he isn’t worth that much, but if the Sox are serious of not giving long term deals to players over 30 they have to increase the per year salary to attract quality free agents. When they did all those 3 years/30MM deals in 2012 for older players like Victorino and Gomes they had to pay them more per year than they were worth to offset the shorter length of the deal. I would think it would be the same for Lester. If the Yankees or another team come in an offer 7 years and 150M, the Sox would have to offer 4 years (maybe with a 5th yr option) for at least 100M for the base deal to ensure the Players Union doesn’t balk at the signing.

8. spezzdispenser - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Too many exclamation points!

9. slaugin - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Classiest athlete to put on the Boston uniform in my lifetime. And he could arguably be the greatest left handed pitcher of all time for the Red Sox

• clydeserra - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I think the red sox arn’t going to be setting the market for lester because he is “arguably the greatest left handed pitcher of all time for the Red Sox.”

I don’t think they want to be paying top dollar for the 33-36 years for a declining lefthhander in that ball park. Especially when there is a Scherzer on the market.

• DavieO - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:04 PM

They aren’t going to give Scherzer any more money than they would be giving Lester. Both are past 30 yr old pitchers. Maybe Scherzer ages better than Lester, but if their organizational philosophy holds up then there isn’t any difference between the two.

• clydeserra - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:12 PM

righty. scherzer is a righty. plays better in boston

• DavieO - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Clydeserra – I know Scherzer’s a righty, that wasn’t the point. They are both the same in they are both on the wrong side of 30 for the Red Sox to offer the years they want. They both are going into free agency looking for guaranteed-money-in-a-final-contract-of-their-career type of deal. Scherzer already turned down a long deal with the Tigers, the Sox won’t offer the same type of deal.

• clydeserra - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM

SO you think the Red sox will go to spring training with their big impact free agent signings of 1 year for Brandon McCarthy and 2 years of scott feldman?

Shields, Scherezer and Lester are the front line FA pitchers. The Red sox will have one of them for more years than you are saying the red sox will give.

10. clydeserra - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:50 AM

in the newspaper? so he didn’t want anyone to see it?

11. cranbery - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Guess it is a matter of money, but I hope he returns!

12. wheels579 - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Class act all the way. Sox were lucky the A-Rod trade fell through or he would have been shipped to Texas a decade ago.

13. playball - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM

It seems to me about the ongoing discussions, or lack thereof, during the season. They wanted Beckett back, they signed him an extension early. They wanted Pedroia, they signed him an extension.
    If the RS really wanted Lester around, it would’ve happened already. I’m sure it is the John Henry years thing, but Pedroia was an exception and Lester really should’ve been, too.
    I don’t blame Lester for wanting the RS to have to compete with other teams for his pitching, financially and in terms of length. No home team discount need apply. The front office shipped him out.
    Love the guy and wish him the best.

• DavieO - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I don’t see that, I think they wanted him back, but from every indication that I’ve read Lester’s team didn’t counter their initial spring offer. In fact there was reports that his team gave the Sox brass an idea of what it would take to extend Lester, but right after it came out Lester’s agent quickly responded that it wasn’t true. I’m wondering if Lester’s agent engaged in a game of chicken, thinking the closer they got to the trade deadline the offer would get better and the Sox figured Lester’s side would eventually counter once they started taking offers for Lester from other teams.

What they should have done was tear up his 2013 contract, give him 5 years at 20m per year and be done with it. It is still a 4 year extension, but it looks like a 5 year deal.

14. insidefastball - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I think he might get a surprise when he hits the market. I just don’t see teams lining up to give him Verlander or Scherzer type money for 5-7 years.

• DavieO - Aug 3, 2014 at 1:12 PM

He may end up top 5 Cy Young voting this year, of course they will offer him big money. 1) he is a workhorse, and 2) he is left handed.

15. irishlad19 - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Clyde, John Henry will have to change his mind about long contracts for 30 yr old pitchers before one of those three come to Boston.
    He may do it if he sees no hope for a competitive team otherwise

• clydeserra - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:48 PM

there is no hope of a competitive team without one of those guys over 30

• clydeserra - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:50 PM

getting a year of cespedes makes no sense if they are not goiong to compete next year. The pirates could have put together a much better prospect package

16. mribiscairo - Aug 3, 2014 at 9:10 PM

I like that he jumped right on this. Classy move and a smart PR play, as well. Who knows if he’ll end up back in Boston? The Yankees teams in recent years have been stacked with ex-Red Sox players who declined the “hometown discount” in favor of pinstripes and considerably bigger contracts.

If however, you truly believe, deep in your heart, that Jon Lester returning to Boston is a sure thing, then please contact me about some unicorn foals I have for sale. I’ll make you a bro deal on one.

17. irishlad19 - Aug 3, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Agree on both points, they are going for it next year and need to pay for a stud pitcher, preferably a lefty.

18. ejannetta - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Sox had their chance to sign Lester to an extention and didn’t……Lester won’t be back in a Boston uniform next season…..Too many teams out there that will out bid Boston in both money and years for Lester

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5136)
  2. M. Kemp (3557)
  3. J. Upton (2835)
  4. J. Kang (2824)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2723)
  1. C. McGehee (2721)