Aug 3, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Don’t expect an imminent return, however. It is still good news, and if everything goes perfectly, Tanaka could rejoin the Yankees for a late-season playoff push. Tanaka has felt better since receiving platelet-rich plasma injections several weeks ago.
Tanaka, 25, last pitched on July 8 when he suffered a partial tear of the UCL ligament. At the time, he was in the running for the American League Cy Young and Rookie of the Year awards. He went on the shelf with a 12-4 record, a 2.51 ERA, and a 135/19 K/BB ratio in 129 1/3 innings.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)