Aug 3, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Pirates have signed utility infielder Jayson Nix to a one-year major league contract. The club also optioned infielder Brent Morel to Triple-A Indianapolis and designated infielder Dean Anna for assignment.
Nix, 31, started the season with the Phillies but was released in May after posting a mediocre .154/.214/.231 slash line. The Rays — who sent Nix to the Phillies for cash in late March — picked him back up and stashed him at Triple-A but released him on Friday. In 215 plate appearances with Triple-A Durham for the Rays, Nix slashed .274/.341/.411 with three home runs and 16 RBI.
The Pirates picked up Anna off of waivers from the Yankees on July 5, but he never made it back to the majors, instead spending his entire time at Triple-A Indianapolis, finishing with a meager .671 OPS in 57 plate appearances. Morel has a .661 OPS in 292 plate appearances at Triple-A, and a .485 OPS in 17 major league plate appearances this season.
- The Dodgers and Braves are deep into trade talks involving Juan Uribe and Alberto Callaspo 11
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 46
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 36
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 19
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 59
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)