Aug 3, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Pirates have signed utility infielder Jayson Nix to a one-year major league contract. The club also optioned infielder Brent Morel to Triple-A Indianapolis and designated infielder Dean Anna for assignment.
Nix, 31, started the season with the Phillies but was released in May after posting a mediocre .154/.214/.231 slash line. The Rays — who sent Nix to the Phillies for cash in late March — picked him back up and stashed him at Triple-A but released him on Friday. In 215 plate appearances with Triple-A Durham for the Rays, Nix slashed .274/.341/.411 with three home runs and 16 RBI.
The Pirates picked up Anna off of waivers from the Yankees on July 5, but he never made it back to the majors, instead spending his entire time at Triple-A Indianapolis, finishing with a meager .671 OPS in 57 plate appearances. Morel has a .661 OPS in 292 plate appearances at Triple-A, and a .485 OPS in 17 major league plate appearances this season.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)