Aug 3, 2014, 4:43 PM EST
The Red Sox announced that 1B/OF Mike Carp has been claimed off of waivers by the Rangers. Carp requested the Red Sox trade him in the week leading up to the trade deadline, but despite the club’s flurry of activity, Carp remained in Boston. He was designated for assignment on Friday.
The Rangers moved pitcher Alexi Ogando to the 60-day disabled list to create room on the 40-man roster for Carp. They’ll make a move to create room on the 25-man roster tomorrw, reports Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Carp, a key contributor to the 2013 champion Red Sox, neither played frequently nor well this season. In 103 plate appearances, he compiled an uninspiring .198/.320/.279 slash line with zero home runs and nine RBI.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 0
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 7
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)