Aug 3, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
The Red Sox announced that 1B/OF Mike Carp has been claimed off of waivers by the Rangers. Carp requested the Red Sox trade him in the week leading up to the trade deadline, but despite the club’s flurry of activity, Carp remained in Boston. He was designated for assignment on Friday.
The Rangers moved pitcher Alexi Ogando to the 60-day disabled list to create room on the 40-man roster for Carp. They’ll make a move to create room on the 25-man roster tomorrw, reports Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Carp, a key contributor to the 2013 champion Red Sox, neither played frequently nor well this season. In 103 plate appearances, he compiled an uninspiring .198/.320/.279 slash line with zero home runs and nine RBI.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 6
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 20
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 56
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 69
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (94)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)