Aug 3, 2014, 4:43 PM EST
The Red Sox announced that 1B/OF Mike Carp has been claimed off of waivers by the Rangers. Carp requested the Red Sox trade him in the week leading up to the trade deadline, but despite the club’s flurry of activity, Carp remained in Boston. He was designated for assignment on Friday.
The Rangers moved pitcher Alexi Ogando to the 60-day disabled list to create room on the 40-man roster for Carp. They’ll make a move to create room on the 25-man roster tomorrw, reports Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Carp, a key contributor to the 2013 champion Red Sox, neither played frequently nor well this season. In 103 plate appearances, he compiled an uninspiring .198/.320/.279 slash line with zero home runs and nine RBI.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)