Aug 3, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
The Red Sox announced that 1B/OF Mike Carp has been claimed off of waivers by the Rangers. Carp requested the Red Sox trade him in the week leading up to the trade deadline, but despite the club’s flurry of activity, Carp remained in Boston. He was designated for assignment on Friday.
The Rangers moved pitcher Alexi Ogando to the 60-day disabled list to create room on the 40-man roster for Carp. They’ll make a move to create room on the 25-man roster tomorrw, reports Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Carp, a key contributor to the 2013 champion Red Sox, neither played frequently nor well this season. In 103 plate appearances, he compiled an uninspiring .198/.320/.279 slash line with zero home runs and nine RBI.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 0
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 43
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 11
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (97)