Thought to be out for season, Avisail Garcia off to hot start in minors

Aug 3, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT

Avisail Garcia Avisail Garcia

After collecting three hits Saturday, Avisail Garcia, once essentially ruled out for the season, is 5-for-9 on his rehab assignment with Triple-A Charlotte.

Garcia suffered a torn labrum and an avulsion fracture in his left shoulder attempting a diving catch in just his eighth game of the season on April 9. The White Sox thought he was out for the year, but he’s made quick progress, and while he has been DHing so far on his rehab assignment, he’s tested his shoulder by making throws and is expected to return to the outfield soon.

The 23-year-old Garcia has hit .298/.332/.450 with seven homers in 50 games for the White Sox since coming over from Detroit in last year’s three-team Jake Peavy-Jose Iglesias deal. He probably won’t be a full-time player after returning this season, but he is penciled in as the team’s long-term right fielder.

1. 2dmo4 - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Hated to see him get traded from the Tigers. Should be a good player for years to come.

• jerze2387 - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Prince Fielder had a different reaction than yours when Garcia was traded.

Note to Sox players: Hide your Wives…Avisail Garcia is on his way back

• esracerx46 - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:53 AM

That story that has made the rounds was largely based on a story from 1 source. A guy who is a baseball fan knew someone connected to Detroit sports. He in turn knew people that said that’s what happened and that’s how Cabrera got injured; clubhouse scuffle. Its at the minimum third hand information.

Also, have you seen Fielder’s wife? Woof. Garcia can do better!

• historiophiliac - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Don’t be a moron, esracer. First, Fielder’s wife is not ugly — and in case you missed it, Garcia is not in the running for hottest dude in MLB himself. (I think Fielder is better looking.) Way to employ a double standard there though. Also, if you have info that refutes the story, feel free to share. It might not be from the closest sources, but that alone doesn’t make it untrue. Be skeptical, yes; dismiss it completely, no. Unless you have actual info more reliable than your sexist assumption about cheating, you are not the more enlightened person you hold yourself out to be (FYI, cheating is not about the attractiveness of the other person. See: Tiger Woods).

• jerze2387 - Aug 3, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Judging by esracers 2 comments on the story, im guessing hes a relative or friend of Garcia. his Garcia crush seems to me bigger than Craigs Puig crush

• SocraticGadfly - Aug 3, 2014 at 5:17 PM

@Jerze … and that’s saying a lot!

2. Gordon - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Wow, that’s pretty incredible. I thought the timeline for return on the labrum injury was almost as long as an ACL recovery. Would love to see him back this season.

• silverdeer - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:57 AM

@Gordon, As a former athletic trainer and ball player, a tear in the labrum can take as long as an ACL with regard to recovery. However, there are two things that come into play. One is the severity of the tear and the second is how hard one wants to work on their physical therapy. I had labrum surgery a year ago and the biggest thing I struggled with in PT was getting my range of motion back and it is still not what it was but I am a lot older than AG (almost 50). However, I have been able to swing a golf club with no issues for a while. Throwing a ball though is still not where it was. Although I have to admit, at my age I was not working at the PT knowing that a pro baseball career was on the line so my dedication to it was no where near what he has been doing to get the shoulder 110% healthy again.

• esracerx46 - Aug 3, 2014 at 11:28 AM

FWIW, Garcia’s injury was to his non throwing shoulder. Good insight silverdeer.

• yahmule - Aug 3, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Which makes it his lead hand on the bat. He may be able to hit, but it will be a while before Garcia’s power returns. Like, 2016, probably.

3. esracerx46 - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Saw him when I was at the game 2 weeks ago. He seems to be a team guy that loves the game. This is a testament to that. I didn’t even know he was on a rehab assignment. I knew their was talk about possibly coming back. But that’s damn impressive. Putting him on a rehab assignment means 1 of 2 things, possibly both. Either the Sox think they have a shot at the second wild card. Or they’re just trying to get him ready for next year and make sure this isn’t a lost year.

• Reflex - Aug 3, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Are you a member of his family/entourage, or just the latest teammate’s wife he’s convinced into the sack?

• yahmule - Aug 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM

You know those women, they have to be convinced into cheating. They’re incapable of forming that thought on their own. It’s really too bad Avasail was around. I’m sure Prince and his ex would still be living a storybook romance now if not for that scoundrel.

• Reflex - Aug 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Not really where I was going with that, but I see how you could choose to take it that way. I’d be saying the same if it were the other way around, for the record.

• yahmule - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Maybe it was the other way around. Maybe she went looking for strange because she knew Prince had side pieces all across the American League.

• Reflex - Aug 5, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Possible of course. We can imagine many things. But rather than create personal storylines I’ll go with what appears to be known: Garcia and Prince’s wife started hooking up last season and Prince fell apart, leading to a decline in performance, Garcia being sent to the Sox and Prince being traded to the Rangers (possibly at his request).

You can invent all you want around that. But the affair was certainly wrong on both parts, and it clearly had some serious implications. The article was about Garcia, however, so I kept my comments to his side of things, especially as Prince’s ex-wife is not a public figure like Garcia.

4. papacrick - Aug 4, 2014 at 3:06 PM

My least favorite Dumbrowski trade. This kid has major talent and I’m sure he will make the Tigers regret it by beating up our all star pitchers for years to come. Iglesias won’t even be the SS next year with Suarez emergence. Ugh I seriously think this could be worse than the Fister for peanuts trade

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3492)