Aug 3, 2014, 10:04 AM EST
After collecting three hits Saturday, Avisail Garcia, once essentially ruled out for the season, is 5-for-9 on his rehab assignment with Triple-A Charlotte.
Garcia suffered a torn labrum and an avulsion fracture in his left shoulder attempting a diving catch in just his eighth game of the season on April 9. The White Sox thought he was out for the year, but he’s made quick progress, and while he has been DHing so far on his rehab assignment, he’s tested his shoulder by making throws and is expected to return to the outfield soon.
The 23-year-old Garcia has hit .298/.332/.450 with seven homers in 50 games for the White Sox since coming over from Detroit in last year’s three-team Jake Peavy-Jose Iglesias deal. He probably won’t be a full-time player after returning this season, but he is penciled in as the team’s long-term right fielder.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)