Aug 3, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
After collecting three hits Saturday, Avisail Garcia, once essentially ruled out for the season, is 5-for-9 on his rehab assignment with Triple-A Charlotte.
Garcia suffered a torn labrum and an avulsion fracture in his left shoulder attempting a diving catch in just his eighth game of the season on April 9. The White Sox thought he was out for the year, but he’s made quick progress, and while he has been DHing so far on his rehab assignment, he’s tested his shoulder by making throws and is expected to return to the outfield soon.
The 23-year-old Garcia has hit .298/.332/.450 with seven homers in 50 games for the White Sox since coming over from Detroit in last year’s three-team Jake Peavy-Jose Iglesias deal. He probably won’t be a full-time player after returning this season, but he is penciled in as the team’s long-term right fielder.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (106)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)