Aug 3, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
After collecting three hits Saturday, Avisail Garcia, once essentially ruled out for the season, is 5-for-9 on his rehab assignment with Triple-A Charlotte.
Garcia suffered a torn labrum and an avulsion fracture in his left shoulder attempting a diving catch in just his eighth game of the season on April 9. The White Sox thought he was out for the year, but he’s made quick progress, and while he has been DHing so far on his rehab assignment, he’s tested his shoulder by making throws and is expected to return to the outfield soon.
The 23-year-old Garcia has hit .298/.332/.450 with seven homers in 50 games for the White Sox since coming over from Detroit in last year’s three-team Jake Peavy-Jose Iglesias deal. He probably won’t be a full-time player after returning this season, but he is penciled in as the team’s long-term right fielder.
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 7
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 2
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 7
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)