Twins claim outfielder Jordan Schafer off of waivers from the Braves

Aug 3, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT

Jordan Schafer Jordan Schafer

The Twins have claimed outfielder Jordan Schafer off of waivers from the Braves, Lavelle E. Neal III of the Star-Tribune reports. The Braves designated Schafer for assignment on Friday to create room on the roster for new acquisitions Emilio Bonifacio and James Russell. The Twins will announce a corresponding roster move before Tuesday night’s home game against the Padres.

Schafer, 27, had a tough time at the plate in 93 plate appearances at the major league level for the Braves, owning a .163/.256/.213 slash line with 15 stolen bases. He is earning $1.09 million and will be eligible for arbitration for two more seasons before becoming eligible for free agency after the 2016 season.

1. tjwilliams - Aug 3, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Aaron Hicks: Age 24, Career OPS+ 67, 2014 OPS+ 33
    Jordan Schafer: Age 27, Career OPS+ 68, 2014 OPS+ 33

As much as I hate Aaron Hicks, if you’re going to pick up Schafer, why not just recall Hicks?

• Cris E - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:39 PM

24 leaves more room for hope than 27.

And because they’ve been so conscious of not blocking Hicks or Buxton there’s a huge CF deficit across the organization as a whole. The last time I checked, back in June, they had one guy listed as a CF above A ball, and I’d never heard of him.

2. West Madison's town Whore - Aug 4, 2014 at 8:28 AM

the twinkies moves never make sense, my thought is they really dont think hicks can hit MLB pitching, but according to the status neither can Schafer.

3. N. Reese Bagwell - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM

As an avid Braves fan, I’ve been watching Schafer for a couple of years in his on-again, off-again service to the Braves and I really like him. He is a huge asset on the bases and, when allowed to play every day (such as the rare opportunities when Braves boondoggle, worthless CF Upton was out with injuries), he has done well at the plate. My opinion is that this is a good pick up for the Twins- their gain/Braves’ loss. Hell, I’d rather have him than BJ Upton who is performing horridly but the Braves are stuck with that massive, foolish $50M contract with Upton. Good luck to Jordan and I wish him well.

4. nobs3 - Aug 5, 2014 at 1:30 AM

N.R. Bagwell’s comment is spot on! Schafer never got a chance to play on a consistent basis. I would have preferred that the Braves had kept Schafer and gotten rid of their manager, Fredi Gonzales, who has a penchant for sticking with an unproductive lineup “forever”, and the few times he makes a change, it seems that he “rests” the only hot hitter in the lineup (and after the rest, he goes cold). He seems to show favoritism to certain players, despite their performance (or lack thereof) — for example, when asked if the newly acquired “leadoff-type” hitter, Emilio Bonafacio, would occasionally hit leadoff instead of BJ Upton, Fredi emphatically said, “No — I’ll go with ‘my guy’.” MY GUY??? That’s a nice way to welcome a new player to the team!!! So Gonzales doesn’t consider Bonafacio — who is hitting 65 points higher than Upton — important enough to even consider using him at leadoff occasionally? What kind of message does that send to the rest of the team? Does Gonzales even WANT to win games?

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3249)