Aug 4, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Morin injured the bottom of his foot while walking on the beach in Florida after Saturday’s game against the Rays. That’s…different. He ended up needing four stitches. The good news is that he’s expected to be back when he’s eligible in two weeks.
6:15 p.m. ET: The Angels’ bullpen was dealt a tough blow this afternoon, as right-handed reliever Mike Morin was placed on the 15-day disabled list due to a left foot laceration.
Morin has been excellent since making his major league debut in late-April, posting a 2.36 ERA and 40/10 K/BB ratio over 42 innings. He’s not a particularly hard-thrower, averaging just around 91 mph on his fastball, but he gets a number of swings and misses thanks to his changeup and slider.
In a corresponding roster move, the Angels have activated outfielder Collin Cowgill from the 15-day disabled list. The 28-year-old has been sidelined since he broke his nose and his right thumb when he was hit by a pitch on July 12, but he made it through a brief minor league rehab assignment with no issues. He’s batting .277/.354/.407 with five home runs and 16 RBI over 69 games this season.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (223)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)