Aug 4, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Morin injured the bottom of his foot while walking on the beach in Florida after Saturday’s game against the Rays. That’s…different. He ended up needing four stitches. The good news is that he’s expected to be back when he’s eligible in two weeks.
6:15 p.m. ET: The Angels’ bullpen was dealt a tough blow this afternoon, as right-handed reliever Mike Morin was placed on the 15-day disabled list due to a left foot laceration.
Morin has been excellent since making his major league debut in late-April, posting a 2.36 ERA and 40/10 K/BB ratio over 42 innings. He’s not a particularly hard-thrower, averaging just around 91 mph on his fastball, but he gets a number of swings and misses thanks to his changeup and slider.
In a corresponding roster move, the Angels have activated outfielder Collin Cowgill from the 15-day disabled list. The 28-year-old has been sidelined since he broke his nose and his right thumb when he was hit by a pitch on July 12, but he made it through a brief minor league rehab assignment with no issues. He’s batting .277/.354/.407 with five home runs and 16 RBI over 69 games this season.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)