Aug 4, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Morin injured the bottom of his foot while walking on the beach in Florida after Saturday’s game against the Rays. That’s…different. He ended up needing four stitches. The good news is that he’s expected to be back when he’s eligible in two weeks.
6:15 p.m. ET: The Angels’ bullpen was dealt a tough blow this afternoon, as right-handed reliever Mike Morin was placed on the 15-day disabled list due to a left foot laceration.
Morin has been excellent since making his major league debut in late-April, posting a 2.36 ERA and 40/10 K/BB ratio over 42 innings. He’s not a particularly hard-thrower, averaging just around 91 mph on his fastball, but he gets a number of swings and misses thanks to his changeup and slider.
In a corresponding roster move, the Angels have activated outfielder Collin Cowgill from the 15-day disabled list. The 28-year-old has been sidelined since he broke his nose and his right thumb when he was hit by a pitch on July 12, but he made it through a brief minor league rehab assignment with no issues. He’s batting .277/.354/.407 with five home runs and 16 RBI over 69 games this season.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)