Aug 4, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Morin injured the bottom of his foot while walking on the beach in Florida after Saturday’s game against the Rays. That’s…different. He ended up needing four stitches. The good news is that he’s expected to be back when he’s eligible in two weeks.
6:15 p.m. ET: The Angels’ bullpen was dealt a tough blow this afternoon, as right-handed reliever Mike Morin was placed on the 15-day disabled list due to a left foot laceration.
Morin has been excellent since making his major league debut in late-April, posting a 2.36 ERA and 40/10 K/BB ratio over 42 innings. He’s not a particularly hard-thrower, averaging just around 91 mph on his fastball, but he gets a number of swings and misses thanks to his changeup and slider.
In a corresponding roster move, the Angels have activated outfielder Collin Cowgill from the 15-day disabled list. The 28-year-old has been sidelined since he broke his nose and his right thumb when he was hit by a pitch on July 12, but he made it through a brief minor league rehab assignment with no issues. He’s batting .277/.354/.407 with five home runs and 16 RBI over 69 games this season.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)