Aug 4, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Morin injured the bottom of his foot while walking on the beach in Florida after Saturday’s game against the Rays. That’s…different. He ended up needing four stitches. The good news is that he’s expected to be back when he’s eligible in two weeks.
6:15 p.m. ET: The Angels’ bullpen was dealt a tough blow this afternoon, as right-handed reliever Mike Morin was placed on the 15-day disabled list due to a left foot laceration.
Morin has been excellent since making his major league debut in late-April, posting a 2.36 ERA and 40/10 K/BB ratio over 42 innings. He’s not a particularly hard-thrower, averaging just around 91 mph on his fastball, but he gets a number of swings and misses thanks to his changeup and slider.
In a corresponding roster move, the Angels have activated outfielder Collin Cowgill from the 15-day disabled list. The 28-year-old has been sidelined since he broke his nose and his right thumb when he was hit by a pitch on July 12, but he made it through a brief minor league rehab assignment with no issues. He’s batting .277/.354/.407 with five home runs and 16 RBI over 69 games this season.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 0
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 5
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 24
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 29
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)