Aug 4, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Out since July 19 with a quadriceps injury, Astros rookie slugger George Springer is scheduled to begin a minor-league rehab assignment today at Single-A.
Chris Abshire of MLB.com reports that Springer could come off the disabled list before this weekend, so it sounds like the rehab stint won’t be a lengthy one.
From his big-league debut on April 16 through his July 19 injury Springer smacked 20 homers to rank tied for fifth among all MLB hitters during that time behind only Nelson Cruz, Edwin Encarnacion, Jose Abreu, and Brandon Moss. And he’s one homer short of tying Lance Berkman for the Astros’ rookie record.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)