Aug 4, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Out since July 19 with a quadriceps injury, Astros rookie slugger George Springer is scheduled to begin a minor-league rehab assignment today at Single-A.
Chris Abshire of MLB.com reports that Springer could come off the disabled list before this weekend, so it sounds like the rehab stint won’t be a lengthy one.
From his big-league debut on April 16 through his July 19 injury Springer smacked 20 homers to rank tied for fifth among all MLB hitters during that time behind only Nelson Cruz, Edwin Encarnacion, Jose Abreu, and Brandon Moss. And he’s one homer short of tying Lance Berkman for the Astros’ rookie record.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11