Catching up with Lenny Dykstra

Aug 4, 2014, 9:46 AM EST

Lenny Dykstra Lenny Dykstra

Richard Sandomir of the New York Times spoke for a looong time with Len Dykstra. It’s a fun read.

Dykstra has been out of prison for 13 months now. He did his community service to high praise from the person who organizes the charity he worked for. He’s being drug tested every week and still will be for two more years and so far so good. He’s living with his ex-wife who, it seems, is the most patient and charitable person on the planet and thankfully doesn’t have any illusions about old Len. He also — and this is a bit scary — is going to get back into the investment advising business, it seems.

Here’s hoping he can channel that crazy radioactive, space-alien drive he seems to have into something positive this time around.

1. yahmule - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:08 AM

“The S.E.C. investigated me, and they were going to put me in jail,” he said. “I was 110-0, and everybody thought what I was doing was bull. It was crazy, man. The investigator tried hard but couldn’t punch any holes in it. I’m bulletproof.”

I give him 18 months before he’s in trouble again.

• phisticuffs - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:47 AM

I’ll take the under.

2. jimeejohnson - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:31 AM

C’mon, Lenny: you can beat the demons. Avoid alcohol like the plague. You need the mellow out medicine; go to Colorado and ask for CBD. Good luck!

• Old Gator - Aug 4, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I think he’d be better orf going to Albuquerque and sampling the carne adovada at Garcia’s in Old Town. If you’re going to be addicted to something, it ought at least to taste great.

• jeffa43 - Aug 4, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Taste great, less filling, and good for you…

CBD’s… All the way ;)

And!!! It is not addicting… Unless you ask our honest lawmakers.

3. flyinhighwithvick - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:30 AM

At least his daughter-in-law is the lovely Meadow Soprano.

• genericcommenter - Aug 5, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Didn’t he steal his son’s bonus?

4. 4cornersfan - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

So when does he start up the investment business again? I have a lot of cash laying around and really need some good investment advice.

• ud1951 - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Yes, we all need to take investment advice from unlicensed ex-con druggies. Maybe CalPers will hire him to fix their pension plan.

5. mungman69 - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Lenny lives.

6. jfk69 - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Free investment advice
    I will lay 5 to 1 that he will be arrested again.
    J Cramer BOOYAH

7. pete2112 - Aug 4, 2014 at 1:05 PM

What a mess he turned into. It’s really sad but maybe he’s turned the corner.

8. mogogo1 - Aug 4, 2014 at 4:43 PM

As I recall, his first post-playing fortune came from a car wash business. Maybe he should get back into that. Far less chance of the SEC sending him back to jail.

• jeffa43 - Aug 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Car wash is near me.. Was… That’s was all shut down amidst the investment disaster.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2732)
  2. W. Myers (2485)
  3. C. McGehee (2090)
  4. D. Ross (2089)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1937)
  1. J. Shields (1833)