Dan Uggla rejects the Giants’ assignment to Triple-A, becomes a free agent again

Aug 4, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT

uggla giants getty Getty Images

Dan Uggla has rejected a demotion to Triple-A after being designated for assignment by the Giants, so the former All-Star second baseman is once again a free agent.

Released by the Braves after being arguably the worst player in baseball for the past two seasons, Uggla signed a minor-league deal with the Giants and was quickly promoted to the big leagues … where he went 0-for-11 with six strikeouts and three errors in four games.

Uggla is 34 years old and has hit .171 in his last 188 games (and .208 in his last 503 games), so if he does latch on with another organization presumably his next team will at least make him put together a decent stretch at Triple-A before giving him another shot in the majors.

1. bgrillz - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Personally I was a fan of his 0-11, but his 3 error are a close second. Gonna miss that muscly ball of talent…

• El Bravo - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:35 PM

…[former] talent, I think you mean, but I forgive you.

• ejheim62 - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM

3 errors in 4 games? Who does he think he is, Pedro Alvarez?

oh crap. I hope I didn’t just give Huntington a really bad idea here….

2. cranbery - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Time to find a new career!

3. raysfan1 - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Dodgers fans favorite part of the Dan Uggla era: the Giants signing Dan Uggla, followed closely by 0-11 and 3 errors in 4 games.
    Giants fans favorite part of the Dan Uggla era: the Giants releasing Dan Uggla.

4. discountdoublecheck - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Undoubtedly that time he nearly made contact. That was exciting.

5. karlkolchak - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Dude amassed a negative 0.3 WAR with SF in just four games. This is one of the few times when I can honestly say I think I could have done at least that well.

• wonkypenguin - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Really – it is rare to be able to confidently say that, but I am SURE I not only would have struck out every at bat but I wouldn’t have committed the three errors. I would have been nowhere near the ball. So technically, my WAR might have been higher.

• baberuthslegs - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:51 PM

And for less money.

6. bfunk1978 - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:00 PM

I think he’s going to walk away. If he was interested in a comeback he’d be auditioning at AAA in Fresno.

• lincolncityore - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Time to buy a new fishing boat and pole and relax!

7. stoutfiles - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Career is over. He’s made it clear he wants no part of the minors, and no major league team is going to sign him to start right away.

8. mogogo1 - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Fun fact: He committed 3 errors in the 2008 All-Star game. (A record.) So, 3 errors in 4 games was no challenge for him, at all.

• El Bravo - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:36 PM

HA! That’s a fun fact.

• yahmule - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Also an interesting exercise in perspective. I remember he was so sad after that ASG, but it had to be a better feeling than this.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Aug 4, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Gobsmacking fact: Three years ago, he put together a 33 game hitting streak. Since 1900, only 14 guys have had longer streaks.

9. yahmule - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Jedd Gyorko officially assumes the mantle of least flatteringly named big leaguer.

• clydeserra - Aug 4, 2014 at 1:29 PM

such an interesting name, Uggla, I wonder what it means and what language its from.

• 4d3fect - Aug 4, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Ask Vin.

• uncertaintimesv3 - Sep 9, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Uggla is “owl” in Swedish.

• pbastille - Aug 4, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Antonio Bastardo isn’t the most flattering name either.

10. rhannah78 - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:49 PM

If he wants to stay in the Bigs,he’s better start learning how to throw a knuckleball!

• bobulated - Aug 4, 2014 at 1:12 PM

+1 for being the first to make the obligatory knuckleball comment!

11. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:53 PM

The most telling thing about Uggla is that the Baltimore Orioles starting second basemen are batting .206 and .210 respectively, and they refuse to offer him a minor league contract.

12. Glenn - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:57 PM

To paraphrase from some witty person – I’d like to buy him for what he is worth and sell him for what he thinks he is worth. I could retire.

13. temporarilyexiled - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Makes you wonder when the light bulb will go on and he’ll decide to join everyone else who believes he’s toast. Got to admire his desire, but enough is enough.

More disturbing is the motley gang of scrubs the Giants have filling in for their injured players.

They’ve got one outfielder they can count on out of the necessary three to five…maybe two, if Pagan returns healthy. Second base is a revolving door. There’s no depth behind their other infielders, who are really good. There’s no depth behind their starting pitchers.

They could miraculously win it all again, with a lot of luck, muddle along, or crater. All are possible.

• yahmule - Aug 4, 2014 at 5:04 PM

I don’t admire his desire. I admire guys like Jason Lane who aren’t too full of themselves to ride buses until they’re good enough to belong in the major leagues again. Uggla hasn’t belonged in MLB for about three years.

• catfoodtitans - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Truthfully, Gregor Blanco filling in at center isn’t all a loss. He’s much better defensively and has a strong arm out in center field. He’s pretty spotty at the plate. Second base obviously isn’t looking too good. But our back up catcher is having a horrendous season down below the Mendoza line.

14. arrooo - Aug 4, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Long Island Ducks, next stop

15. holographicribs - Aug 4, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Time to retire, fool.

16. tomtravis76 - Aug 4, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Get back on the juice.

17. illuminancer - Aug 4, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I think I speak for most Giants fans when I say that Uggla’s best moment as a Giant was leaving the Giants.

18. catfoodtitans - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Honestly, I’m disappointed that he did so poorly. You kinda had to feel bad for the guy. Unless he’s decided he’s done playing, this was his best option to make it back to the majors. Of course, the Astros could sign him. After all, they signed and released Rick Ankiel last year I think.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3094)