Aug 4, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Because the injuries to the Yankees’ starting rotation apparently never stop, David Phelps exited last night’s game after two innings with what the team is calling right elbow inflammation.
After the game manager Joe Girardi revealed to Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York that Phelps has been dealing with elbow problems for “three or four weeks” already and recently underwent an MRI exam that came back clean. Despite that, Phelps posted a 2.97 ERA in five July starts.
Wallace writes that Phelps seems likely to miss at least one start and the fact that Girardi felt the need to say “I believe he’s going to pitch again” this season certainly suggests it could require a stint on the disabled list alongside fellow starters Masahiro Tanaka, CC Sabathia, Michael Pineda, and Ivan Nova.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 4
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 39
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 79
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 9
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 66
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)