Aug 4, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Because the injuries to the Yankees’ starting rotation apparently never stop, David Phelps exited last night’s game after two innings with what the team is calling right elbow inflammation.
After the game manager Joe Girardi revealed to Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York that Phelps has been dealing with elbow problems for “three or four weeks” already and recently underwent an MRI exam that came back clean. Despite that, Phelps posted a 2.97 ERA in five July starts.
Wallace writes that Phelps seems likely to miss at least one start and the fact that Girardi felt the need to say “I believe he’s going to pitch again” this season certainly suggests it could require a stint on the disabled list alongside fellow starters Masahiro Tanaka, CC Sabathia, Michael Pineda, and Ivan Nova.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 5
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 14
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)