Aug 4, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Matt Cain is going to have season-ended surgery on Monday.
It was reported over the weekend that the Giants’ medical staff recommended surgery for Cain’s inflamed right elbow, which contained bone chips. They must have talked him into it. It was inevitable anyway, and at least if he has the surgery now there is a good chance he’ll be ready for the start of the 2015 season.
The 2014 season is already a loss for him. He has a career-high 4.18 ERA over 15 starts and has been on the disabled list three times.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11