Aug 4, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Matt Cain is going to have season-ended surgery on Monday.
It was reported over the weekend that the Giants’ medical staff recommended surgery for Cain’s inflamed right elbow, which contained bone chips. They must have talked him into it. It was inevitable anyway, and at least if he has the surgery now there is a good chance he’ll be ready for the start of the 2015 season.
The 2014 season is already a loss for him. He has a career-high 4.18 ERA over 15 starts and has been on the disabled list three times.
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 8
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 33
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)