Aug 4, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Matt Cain is going to have season-ended surgery on Monday.
It was reported over the weekend that the Giants’ medical staff recommended surgery for Cain’s inflamed right elbow, which contained bone chips. They must have talked him into it. It was inevitable anyway, and at least if he has the surgery now there is a good chance he’ll be ready for the start of the 2015 season.
The 2014 season is already a loss for him. He has a career-high 4.18 ERA over 15 starts and has been on the disabled list three times.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)