Aug 4, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that Matt Cain is going to have season-ended surgery on Monday.
It was reported over the weekend that the Giants’ medical staff recommended surgery for Cain’s inflamed right elbow, which contained bone chips. They must have talked him into it. It was inevitable anyway, and at least if he has the surgery now there is a good chance he’ll be ready for the start of the 2015 season.
The 2014 season is already a loss for him. He has a career-high 4.18 ERA over 15 starts and has been on the disabled list three times.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 13
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 91
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)