Aug 4, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Matt Harvey threw off a mound on Friday for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery. He did it at Citi Field and, apparently, things went well. Andy Martino of the Daily News reports, however, that maybe he wasn’t supposed to have done that:
Was Harvey scheduled to take that particular step on Friday? Or was the mound session supposed to wait until Tuesday in Port St. Lucie? Let’s just say that different people at the ballpark had different ideas of the plan, and Mets personnel spent part of the afternoon trying to iron that particular wrinkly shirt.
Martino says that other than confusion it created no problems, but does note that this is part of the deal with Harvey: he’s headstrong and does what he wants. It seems, however, that the Mets are generally cool with it even if it causes them consternation at times. It’s easier to be cool with it when the guy is poised to lead your pitching staff for several years.
Fascinating stuff in a fascinating city for fascinating stuff. The sort of “it’s all cool until the moment it isn’t” dynamic that seems to happen in New York more than anyplace else.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 44
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)