Aug 4, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Matt Harvey threw off a mound on Friday for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery. He did it at Citi Field and, apparently, things went well. Andy Martino of the Daily News reports, however, that maybe he wasn’t supposed to have done that:
Was Harvey scheduled to take that particular step on Friday? Or was the mound session supposed to wait until Tuesday in Port St. Lucie? Let’s just say that different people at the ballpark had different ideas of the plan, and Mets personnel spent part of the afternoon trying to iron that particular wrinkly shirt.
Martino says that other than confusion it created no problems, but does note that this is part of the deal with Harvey: he’s headstrong and does what he wants. It seems, however, that the Mets are generally cool with it even if it causes them consternation at times. It’s easier to be cool with it when the guy is poised to lead your pitching staff for several years.
Fascinating stuff in a fascinating city for fascinating stuff. The sort of “it’s all cool until the moment it isn’t” dynamic that seems to happen in New York more than anyplace else.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (133)