Aug 4, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Matt Harvey threw off a mound on Friday for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery. He did it at Citi Field and, apparently, things went well. Andy Martino of the Daily News reports, however, that maybe he wasn’t supposed to have done that:
Was Harvey scheduled to take that particular step on Friday? Or was the mound session supposed to wait until Tuesday in Port St. Lucie? Let’s just say that different people at the ballpark had different ideas of the plan, and Mets personnel spent part of the afternoon trying to iron that particular wrinkly shirt.
Martino says that other than confusion it created no problems, but does note that this is part of the deal with Harvey: he’s headstrong and does what he wants. It seems, however, that the Mets are generally cool with it even if it causes them consternation at times. It’s easier to be cool with it when the guy is poised to lead your pitching staff for several years.
Fascinating stuff in a fascinating city for fascinating stuff. The sort of “it’s all cool until the moment it isn’t” dynamic that seems to happen in New York more than anyplace else.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:10 AM EDT
Oct 1, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
Sep 30, 2014, 11:49 PM EDT
We’ve got a brand new ballgame in Kansas City.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:53 PM EDT
Sep 30, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
Oakland opened the floodgates on the Royals in the sixth inning.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Sep 30, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
Derek Norris came off the bench to replace him.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Sep 30, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
Sep 30, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Ishikawa is 31 years old and has started a grand total of three career games in the outfield.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Sep 30, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Kershaw and Greinke four times in five games?
Sep 30, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
Javier Baez hit just .169 with 95 strikeouts in 52 games as a 21-year-old rookie.
Sep 30, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
Sep 30, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT
It’s all about how you define the term “best,” of course.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Gordon led the NL in steals and triples this season.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
It’s not as crazy as it may seem.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Giancarlo Stanton is about to get expensive. But the Marlins are not inclined to deal him.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
He should be good to go by spring training.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
Some surprises for Oakland. Zero surprises for Kansas City.
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 1
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)