Aug 4, 2014, 6:58 PM EDT
Bedard was designated for assignment last week after set-up man Joel Peralta was activated from the disabled list. The 35-year-old southpaw has spent most of this season in the Rays’ rotation, posting a 4.76 ERA and 64/29 K/BB ratio in 75 2/3 innings across 15 starts and two relief appearances.
Oviedo was given the boot last weekend when Jeremy Hellickson rejoined the Rays’ rotation. After missing all of last season following Tommy John surgery, the 32-year-old got off to a good start this year, but he wore out his welcome after allowing 10 runs over his final 15 appearances.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 45
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)