Aug 4, 2014, 6:58 PM EDT
Bedard was designated for assignment last week after set-up man Joel Peralta was activated from the disabled list. The 35-year-old southpaw has spent most of this season in the Rays’ rotation, posting a 4.76 ERA and 64/29 K/BB ratio in 75 2/3 innings across 15 starts and two relief appearances.
Oviedo was given the boot last weekend when Jeremy Hellickson rejoined the Rays’ rotation. After missing all of last season following Tommy John surgery, the 32-year-old got off to a good start this year, but he wore out his welcome after allowing 10 runs over his final 15 appearances.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)