Aug 4, 2014, 6:58 PM EDT
Bedard was designated for assignment last week after set-up man Joel Peralta was activated from the disabled list. The 35-year-old southpaw has spent most of this season in the Rays’ rotation, posting a 4.76 ERA and 64/29 K/BB ratio in 75 2/3 innings across 15 starts and two relief appearances.
Oviedo was given the boot last weekend when Jeremy Hellickson rejoined the Rays’ rotation. After missing all of last season following Tommy John surgery, the 32-year-old got off to a good start this year, but he wore out his welcome after allowing 10 runs over his final 15 appearances.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 105
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 17
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 38
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 41
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 351
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (351)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (190)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)