Aug 4, 2014, 6:58 PM EST
Bedard was designated for assignment last week after set-up man Joel Peralta was activated from the disabled list. The 35-year-old southpaw has spent most of this season in the Rays’ rotation, posting a 4.76 ERA and 64/29 K/BB ratio in 75 2/3 innings across 15 starts and two relief appearances.
Oviedo was given the boot last weekend when Jeremy Hellickson rejoined the Rays’ rotation. After missing all of last season following Tommy John surgery, the 32-year-old got off to a good start this year, but he wore out his welcome after allowing 10 runs over his final 15 appearances.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)