Aug 4, 2014, 7:35 PM EST
UPDATE: Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun hears that Johnson hasn’t signed with a team and is still in the process of making a decision.
7:35 p.m. ET: According to Roch Kubatko of MASN Sports, free agent reliever Jim Johnson has signed with an unidentified team. Yes, we have a mystery team on our hands, folks. The only thing we know right now is that it’s not the Orioles, so apparently they weren’t too impressed by his workout earlier today in Florida.
Johnson was released by the Athletics last week after he posted an awful 7.14 ERA with 28 strikeouts and 23 walks over 40 1/3 innings. Oakland is responsible for the remainder of his $10 million salary for this season, so he would only cost a prorated portion of the major league minimum with his new team.
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 0
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 338
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (338)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)