Aug 4, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Jim Johnson and the Oriole might be headed for a reunion.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that Johnson is scheduled to work out for the Orioles and minor league pitching rehab coordinator Scott McGregor today at their spring training complex in Florida.
Johnson saved 51 games in 2012 and 50 games in 2013 as the Orioles’ closer, leading the league both seasons, but Baltimore dumped him (and his $10 million salary) on Oakland during the offseason. He posted a 7.14 ERA for the A’s, losing the closer job almost immediately, and was released last week.
If the Orioles like what they see presumably they’d sign Johnson to a minor-league deal and potentially call him up for a middle relief gig down the stretch. Oakland is on the hook for his entire salary.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 16
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 179
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 103
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (190)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)