Aug 4, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Jim Johnson and the Oriole might be headed for a reunion.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that Johnson is scheduled to work out for the Orioles and minor league pitching rehab coordinator Scott McGregor today at their spring training complex in Florida.
Johnson saved 51 games in 2012 and 50 games in 2013 as the Orioles’ closer, leading the league both seasons, but Baltimore dumped him (and his $10 million salary) on Oakland during the offseason. He posted a 7.14 ERA for the A’s, losing the closer job almost immediately, and was released last week.
If the Orioles like what they see presumably they’d sign Johnson to a minor-league deal and potentially call him up for a middle relief gig down the stretch. Oakland is on the hook for his entire salary.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)