Aug 4, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Stephen Drew went 2 for 4 with a double and four RBI against the guys who, until late last week, were his teammates.And the Red Sox likely replied “where the hell was that a week ago?”
Obviously it makes little difference to the Sox in the grand scheme — they were wise to unload Drew and one good night does not negate the nightmare of a season he’s had, but stuff like this is kind of fun when it happens. Unless it happens to your team.
It’s good for Drew and the Yankees, though. Drew is basically auditioning for a job for 2015, either as Derek Jeter‘s replacement or, for that matter, as the Yankees’ starting second or maybe even third baseman. Given his extended offseason an uncertainty this past winter, he’s not wanting to leave things to chance. Meanwhile, for now anyway, the Yankees have an upgrade over Brian Roberts. And since they’re only 1.5 games back of the wild card, every little bit helps.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)