Aug 4, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Stephen Drew went 2 for 4 with a double and four RBI against the guys who, until late last week, were his teammates.And the Red Sox likely replied “where the hell was that a week ago?”
Obviously it makes little difference to the Sox in the grand scheme — they were wise to unload Drew and one good night does not negate the nightmare of a season he’s had, but stuff like this is kind of fun when it happens. Unless it happens to your team.
It’s good for Drew and the Yankees, though. Drew is basically auditioning for a job for 2015, either as Derek Jeter‘s replacement or, for that matter, as the Yankees’ starting second or maybe even third baseman. Given his extended offseason an uncertainty this past winter, he’s not wanting to leave things to chance. Meanwhile, for now anyway, the Yankees have an upgrade over Brian Roberts. And since they’re only 1.5 games back of the wild card, every little bit helps.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 14
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54