Aug 4, 2014, 8:57 AM EST
Stephen Drew went 2 for 4 with a double and four RBI against the guys who, until late last week, were his teammates.And the Red Sox likely replied “where the hell was that a week ago?”
Obviously it makes little difference to the Sox in the grand scheme — they were wise to unload Drew and one good night does not negate the nightmare of a season he’s had, but stuff like this is kind of fun when it happens. Unless it happens to your team.
It’s good for Drew and the Yankees, though. Drew is basically auditioning for a job for 2015, either as Derek Jeter‘s replacement or, for that matter, as the Yankees’ starting second or maybe even third baseman. Given his extended offseason an uncertainty this past winter, he’s not wanting to leave things to chance. Meanwhile, for now anyway, the Yankees have an upgrade over Brian Roberts. And since they’re only 1.5 games back of the wild card, every little bit helps.
- Jose Iglesias, with an extended aside about cheeseburger and burrito stats 3
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 4
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 29
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86