Stephen Drew said hello to the Red Sox last night

Aug 4, 2014, 8:57 AM EST

Screen Shot 2014-08-04 at 8.43.03 AM AP

Stephen Drew went 2 for 4 with a double and four RBI against the guys who, until late last week, were his teammates.And the Red Sox likely replied “where the hell was that a week ago?”

Obviously it makes little difference to the Sox in the grand scheme — they were wise to unload Drew and one good night does not negate the nightmare of  a season he’s had, but stuff like this is kind of fun when it happens. Unless it happens to your team.

It’s good for Drew and the Yankees, though. Drew is basically auditioning for a job for 2015, either as Derek Jeter‘s replacement or, for that matter, as the Yankees’ starting second or maybe even third baseman. Given his extended offseason an uncertainty this past winter, he’s not wanting to leave things to chance. Meanwhile, for now anyway, the Yankees have an upgrade over Brian Roberts. And since they’re only 1.5 games back of the wild card, every little bit helps.

1. tfbuckfutter - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:02 AM

So he came back for the paycheck and now that he’s on a competitive team he decides to start playing.

Sounds about par for the course.

Oh well, at least if they make the playoffs you can count on him completely and totally disappearing again.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Or he could play great defense and hit a home run in Game 6 of the World Series.

Every professional baseball player plays for a paycheck. You’re such a tool.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Yes sir. One good swing in 59 ABs that didn’t factor into the final score.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM

You are the most ignorant and parochial Red Sox fan on the HBT comments. Even though I love the Red Sox, I’m now rooting for them to never win again, solely because you exist. Your keyboard must have tried to commit suicide a thousand times.

Do the sane Red Sox fans a favor and just shut up until or unless you can do better.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:15 AM

U mad, bro?

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Every Sawks fan hates you like poison. So try to imagine how everyone else feel. Extrapolate.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:27 AM

I’m actually pretty sure more people hate me solely because I’m a Sox fan than hate me for making critical statements about the Sox.

Which is why I don’t particularly care what the fanbase that I get negativity just by being associated with thinks.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:30 AM

That’s not it at all. It’s not like I’m here to make friends. Your complete absence of critical thinking skills are what define you around here.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Okie doke.

Now back to the issue at hand….Drew being terrible at baseball and being completely useless in the postseason.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:48 AM

He produced a 3.4 WAR (9th best among MLB shortstops) in 2013 for the World Series Champions. He helped the team you root for get there in the first place.

In other words, he’s terrible at baseball like you’re good with logic.

• mribiscairo - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Ugh. You’re dead right about tfbuck’s incessant cackling,but please don’t try to pass off your witless, one-dimensional, “I’m not here to make friends” tinkling as “critical thinking.”

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:53 AM

You agree with me because I’m right, but it makes you sick, because I’m me. Get in line.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:52 AM

He’s also hit .156 since the start of last years post season.

Which definitely equals awesome at baseball.

• historiophiliac - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I don’t normally break out the popcorn this early in the day, but you can’t always pick when the show starts.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Too late, I’m already done knocking the sand out of this fool.

• historiophiliac - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:45 AM

With replay, it will live forever.

/grabs handful and scrolls up

• olaffek - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:47 AM

What’s the difference? The Red Sox can now score runs but can’t pitch.

• carpi2 - Aug 5, 2014 at 12:20 AM

The ‘Sox can pitch. They just don’t do it well, anymore.

2. sidelineshot - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Whatever …

3. pete2112 - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Everyone should just calm down a bit. Drew didn’t have a spring training and is still not looking like he’s regular season ready as of yet, but his defense has been pretty good given the fact he’s had to adjust to playing second base on the fly. I think he deserves a little credit. I’m not sure his bat is ever going to be the thing people think about when talking about him, but he’s a huge help for the Yankees from a defensive standpoint.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Drew and Prado were both major upgrades. As poorly as I’ve rated Cashman’s performance in assembling this team in the first place, I have to say he’s done a good job fixing it on the fly. His trade deadline performance wasn’t headline grabbing but it was sneaky-good.

• pete2112 - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM

I agree for the most part but part of me is still wondering why they traded for guys who never played the position they want them to play now. I’m still very confused by that. I suppose Drew makes sense as maybe he’ll just slide over to shortstop next season if the Yankees want to sign him, but Prado, while a definite upgrade from an offensive standpoint has to learn to play right field, which I think sounds easier than actually doing it. Either way it’s worked out so far and Headley has been excellent defensively so maybe this infield which has been a disaster most of the season can turn it around in time to possibly making a run as a wildcard spot.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Drew also backs up the Captain, and Prado has already played a ton of LF, and he has a legit arm for 3B so you’d think that would translate well to RF.

Headley, as you mention, was a good pickup, and Brandon McCarthy has been tremendous. Add in that all of these guys were acquired at an extremely low cost, and Cashman seems to have done quite well over the last month or so.

• pete2112 - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I hope you’re right about Prado as I think he could be a really good pickup for them. That’s right, I forgot to mention McCarthy who’s been excellent and someone they’re probably going to need next season given the uncertainty of who and when these guys are returning from their injuries. Their trades kind of flew under the radar but they’ve all been much better than expected.

I wish Cashman would go into the season with this mindset rather than the over the top contracts for big names that sometimes don’t pan out such as McCann, so far.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Another underrated move was the Brett Gardner extension. Not only has he already outperformed this year’s salary, he has a $6 million head start on next year. He seemed superfluous to the Yankees’ needs after the Ellsbury signing but has been simply outstanding. It’s definitely worth asking where the heck they’d be without Gardner this year.

• pete2112 - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Absolutely. I thought he got a bit of an all star snub this season for not even being mentioned but he’s been everything and more the Yankees could have asked for. He’s definitely the Yankees MVP thus far. I often wonder if he was hitting 2nd. or 3rd. in the lineup how many more RBI’s he would have as he’s been only one of a couple consistent run producers this season. If you had told me in the beginning of the season Gardner has a chance to lead the team in RBI’s I would’ve laughed at you.

• Kevin S. - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Remember this offseason, when Reds’ fans said it was ridiculous to consider Bailey for Gardner and acted like they would be doing the Yankees a favor by trading them Phillips? Good times.

You know, unk, when I talked last week about how good Brian Cashman is at finding these kinds of deals, you mocked that as a skill. Glad to see you’ve come around.

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 4, 2014 at 2:08 PM

I still mock the fact that he has to do this stuff with a $210 million payroll. Also, Drew, Headley & Prado are huge upgrades over his first 10 attempts at filling RF, 2B & 3B. But he also started the year with Brian Roberts, Dean Anna, Yangervis Solarte & Kelly Johnson

• theskinsman - Aug 4, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Drew is already a huge upgrade at SS for the Yanks. I wish him well, wasn’t in favor of resigning him, but stuff happens.
      Yanks might make squeak into the playoffs, but their pitching gives them a very small chance of going anywhere. No worries, they just won it all, and defending is so hard….oops. Nevermind.

4. sandpiperair - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:52 AM

The bigger story in my opinion is that Buchholz couldn’t get him out– or anybody else, for that matter. What’s wrong with this guy?

• unclemosesgreen - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:01 AM

He looks pretty bad. Velocity and location are the problems. He’s lost 4 mph off his “something extra” fastball and 2 mph average off the fastball from his 2008 peak. He’s been wild in and out of the strike zone.

It looks like he’s lost 4 mph total but is overthrowing and missing to try to make up for it.

5. bigmeechy74 - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Hold on a sec… A guy sucks for another team and then joins the yankees and is awesome for no reason? No way!

• renaado - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Drew hasn’t been that long with the Yankees though… The end of the regular season is somethin we should look at on how good or bad his stats will be.

6. psousa1 - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM

He wasn’t facing Clay Bucholz and his batting practice fastballs a week ago………………………..

He will play brilliantly defensively but he can’t hit good (or even pretty good) pitching. Who knows maybe with that short porch he’ll run into a couple of balls that would be routine fly balls at Fenway but will be 10 rows back at Yankee Stadium.

He’ll help them more than hurt them.

7. olaffek - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I don’t care about Drew. I care about how the now Red Sox are going win a game with 3 leads and scoring 7 runs.

8. olaffek - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I wish Buchholz would say goodbye.

9. chip56 - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I guess Bucholtz didn’t have enough Bullfrog on his arm last night.

10. jfk69 - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:42 PM

I am a free agent pitcher and you want me to pitch 1/2 my games at Fenway. You better give me more than 4 years and the going rate. My agent tells me my next contract could be problematic based on stats.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester