The Cubs are calling up Javier Baez

Aug 4, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

It’s Baez time:

Baez recently moved off shortstop and over to second base. Which, given the presence of Starlin Castro, was a sign that the Cubs wanted him the bigs sooner rather than later. Given that he’s considered a top-10 prospect across all of baseball, it’s not surprising.

Baez is only 21, yet has excelled at every level, where he is often among the youngest players in the league. He hit .282/.341/.578 with 37 homers between high-A and Double-A last season. This year in Triple-A he has hit.260/.323/.510 with 23 homers in 103 games, but those numbers are weighed down by a slow start. As the season has gone on he has gotten better and better.

The future is finally here, Chicago.

1. jerze2387 - Aug 4, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Alcanterra to CF I assume. I’d like to see Russell and Bryant (I doubt they’ll promote Bryant though) in September. Not even a cubs fan (go white sox!) but I’d probably watch if they brought the guys up to get some experience

• wonkypenguin - Aug 4, 2014 at 2:50 PM

They have repeatedly said Bryant won’t come up this year. He’ll be there soon enough.

• blackandbluedivision - Aug 4, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Yea, I agree. I hate the Cubs with a vengeance. But, their future looks scary bright.

• cueghost - Aug 4, 2014 at 5:22 PM

How could anyone hate the Cubs? Seriously.

• jerze2387 - Aug 4, 2014 at 7:29 PM

And i forgot to include Soler. I just want to see enough for a full lineup. Something like:

C- Castillo. No ML ready prospects at catcher for now
      1b- Rizzo
      2b- Baez
      SS- Castro
      3B- Russell (best arm in the INF, so he can make teh longer throws better i think)
      LF- Soler
      CF- Alcatnerra
      RF- Bryant

bench-
      Watkins
      J.lake
      Szczur
      Olt/Vitters/Vogelbach

this way they can see what these young guys have, and they can get used to being in the bigs without pressure

then in the next couple years they have Mckinney, Schwarber, Almora coming up.

• tfilarski - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:43 PM

lake/olt/vitters time might be up. will see what happens with louis vallbeuna

• jerze2387 - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:59 PM

@tfilarski I was thinking that as i typed it, especially with Vitters, but i figured go with all their young guys. i think Vitters/Olt/Brett jackson may be on that “never quite panned out” route. i had a soft spot for Lake due to his INF experience and now plenty of OF experience, and somehow he gets a lot of playing time still and is still a few years younger than Olt/Vitters.Jackson. he could end up being a Josh harrison type with a bit more experience..decent little Utility guy. olt has a Mark reynolds look to him, so a Mark Reynolds and Josh harrison off the bench wouldnt be bad. vitters though…he kind of fell off the map

2. Wesley Clark - Aug 4, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Finally! The light at the end of the tunnel. Although, as a Cubs fan, I am hoping it isn’t a train.

• blackandbluedivision - Aug 4, 2014 at 3:12 PM

usually is. He’ll probably be traded for prospects in a few years.

• 84cubs - Aug 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM

He would get traded for prospects if there is somebody better pushing him from the minors. I don’t see a problem with that at all. Are you suggesting that trading star players who are under team control for 5 years is the m.o of THIS front office? Site examples please?

3. wonkypenguin - Aug 4, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Bryant, Castro, Baez, Rizzo. I’ll take that infield until Russell is ready. And then we’ll just let them figure out what to do with them all.

Alcantara will fit nicely in CF for the foreseeable future. I’m excited.

• cueghost - Aug 4, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I’ve been hearing rumors about Bryant to Right…

• yahmule - Aug 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I have, too. Not sure why anybody would take issue with that.

4. andreweac - Aug 4, 2014 at 3:00 PM

They should also call up Jorge Soler. Service time isn’t an issue as he is a free agent after 2020 no matter what.

• Wesley Clark - Aug 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM

He should be September call up. If he can stay healthy, and that is a big if, he looks like the real deal.

5. wisbadgfan - Aug 4, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Not a Cubs fan, but I can see the beginning of a nice new direction for the Cubs.

Epstein has angered some Cubs fans with the blowing up the pitching staff, but it looks like the groundwork is coming together here.

If Theo can come up with another arm or so, the northsiders in Chitown will soon be able to have good reason to smile.

6. vanmorrissey - Aug 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Season ticket renewal time. Get the future kids up and get the audience excited about the possibilities as bait to renew. Don’t blame them at all.

• 84cubs - Aug 4, 2014 at 6:47 PM

The waiting list is YEARS long. I truly doubt that is their motivation for bringing Baez up.

7. rosloe62 - Aug 4, 2014 at 3:52 PM

It’s nice to see potential stars showing up in the bigs. Go Cubs!

8. ptbakery - Aug 4, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Maybe he’ll someday reach the level of Felix Pie!

• 84cubs - Aug 4, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Come up with something more original brother. The comparison to Pie or Patterson EVERY fu…ng time a touted Cubs prospect is about to come up is so played.

• yahmule - Aug 4, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I think the fancypants way he pronounced Pie was his downfall.

9. cubfan531 - Aug 4, 2014 at 4:38 PM

These are the saddest of possible words:
    “Castro to Baez to Rizzo”
    Trio of bear cubs, home runs that fly with birds,
    Castro and Baez and Rizzo.
    Ruthlessly making our pitchers’ ERAs bubble,
    Ripping pitch after pitch down the line for a double –
    Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble:
    “Castro to Baez to Rizzo.”

10. unclebuck44 - Aug 4, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Cards fan here.

I’m very excited that the Cubs are calling up Baez. I can’t wait to see what these great Cubs prospects can do. More importantly, I can’t wait for the Cubs-Cardinals rivalry to heat back up. It has been too long.

I won’t lie, I’m afraid of these young sluggers that Chicago has stockpiled. I know people like to say that their system is devoid of pitching but IMO it’s not going to be a problem. Check out what happened last week. Price, Lester, Lackey all traded in one day. Pitching is moved all the time. If you have prospects to give and/or a deep wallet, you can put together a good rotation. The Cubs have both.

11. nottinghamforest12 - Aug 4, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Sam Zell will find a way to ruin all of this. Just wait and see.

12. yahmule - Aug 4, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I’m so excited to see this kid I’m going to suspend my Cubs are doomed for eternity schtick for this thread.

13. perryt200 - Aug 4, 2014 at 8:56 PM

I love Cubs fans being so optimistic and I am glad they might get better.

But there is a fact that is being overlooked. The NL Central is a death trap. Three teams separated by 1.5 games and a forth just 4.5 out. That puts 3 teams within 3.5 games of a wild card spot.

Maybe they should shoot for .500 before they want the cover of Sports Illustrated.

• Wesley Clark - Aug 5, 2014 at 3:59 PM

The NL Central is hardly a death trap. The Brewers are performing above their heads this year. The Pirates have an ownership group that refuses to spend money. The Reds always field a competitive team and the Cardinals are always going to be have good teams for the most part. Divisions change and evolve over time (see the AL East this year). Just because a division is good now does not mean in two or three years the division will look even remotely similar. Especially with free agency.

14. disgracedfury - Aug 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Love how the future doesn’t have any pitchers.THe Orioles and Royals is as far as this team will look like.There pitching prospects is non-existence.

• 84cubs - Aug 5, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Because the only way to get good pitching is from the minors right? They can’t sign any free agents?

• Uncle Charlie - Aug 5, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Was this translated from Danish back to English using babelfish?

15. mildfan - Aug 5, 2014 at 5:14 AM

I hate when ball guys talk out both sides of there mouth! His numbers are not weighed down by a slow start, they are his actual numbers over 103 games. When we look at his whole season we look at the average because of ups and downs. Hampered by injury is the only time they can say a players numbers could be a little better had the player not been injured. It is a game of averages and this guy comes in cold and heats up. His numbers are not weighed down!!!!!!

• stex52 - Aug 5, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Not true for a young player. They are still developing; if you see a difference across the season it is probably because they are still learning to play at that level.

• Uncle Charlie - Aug 5, 2014 at 3:14 PM

So you don’t believe in statistical outliers distorting the mean? Please go into politics.

16. kastout11 - Aug 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I have only been a Cubs fan for about 10 years, since Wood and Prior, so I have not felt the pain like most Cubs fans, but you cannot help but to be excited about the direction they are taking. If Theo can deliver a world series to Boston, then 10 or so years later, to Chicago, he will definitely be a god, especially in Chicago.

17. scrot7 - Aug 5, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I think its time for the Cubs to bring up Hee-seop Choi

• 84cubs - Aug 5, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Im sure the team you follow has NEVER HAD A PROSPECT fail right? Enlighten us, which team has the honor of your undying adoration?

• scrot7 - Aug 5, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Cubs fan

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3736)