Aug 4, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
It’s Baez time:
Cubs source confirms Javier Baez to join team in Colorado on Tuesday .
— Bruce Levine (@MLBBruceLevine) August 4, 2014
Baez recently moved off shortstop and over to second base. Which, given the presence of Starlin Castro, was a sign that the Cubs wanted him the bigs sooner rather than later. Given that he’s considered a top-10 prospect across all of baseball, it’s not surprising.
Baez is only 21, yet has excelled at every level, where he is often among the youngest players in the league. He hit .282/.341/.578 with 37 homers between high-A and Double-A last season. This year in Triple-A he has hit.260/.323/.510 with 23 homers in 103 games, but those numbers are weighed down by a slow start. As the season has gone on he has gotten better and better.
The future is finally here, Chicago.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 7
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 43
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)