Aug 4, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
It’s Baez time:
Cubs source confirms Javier Baez to join team in Colorado on Tuesday .
— Bruce Levine (@MLBBruceLevine) August 4, 2014
Baez recently moved off shortstop and over to second base. Which, given the presence of Starlin Castro, was a sign that the Cubs wanted him the bigs sooner rather than later. Given that he’s considered a top-10 prospect across all of baseball, it’s not surprising.
Baez is only 21, yet has excelled at every level, where he is often among the youngest players in the league. He hit .282/.341/.578 with 37 homers between high-A and Double-A last season. This year in Triple-A he has hit.260/.323/.510 with 23 homers in 103 games, but those numbers are weighed down by a slow start. As the season has gone on he has gotten better and better.
The future is finally here, Chicago.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)