Aug 4, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
It’s Baez time:
Cubs source confirms Javier Baez to join team in Colorado on Tuesday .
— Bruce Levine (@MLBBruceLevine) August 4, 2014
Baez recently moved off shortstop and over to second base. Which, given the presence of Starlin Castro, was a sign that the Cubs wanted him the bigs sooner rather than later. Given that he’s considered a top-10 prospect across all of baseball, it’s not surprising.
Baez is only 21, yet has excelled at every level, where he is often among the youngest players in the league. He hit .282/.341/.578 with 37 homers between high-A and Double-A last season. This year in Triple-A he has hit.260/.323/.510 with 23 homers in 103 games, but those numbers are weighed down by a slow start. As the season has gone on he has gotten better and better.
The future is finally here, Chicago.
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 32
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86