Aug 4, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Yadier Molina is four weeks into what was expected to be an 8-12 week recovery from a torn thumb ligament and Cardinals manager Mike Matheny told Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that “what we’re hearing is good” on the catcher’s status.
Matheny described it as “just healing time” right now and reiterated that Molina won’t return before September. He also said the team has had to keep Molina away from the ballpark at times because “we’re trying to keep him from going crazy … he wants to be out there so bad.”
After initially turning to Tony Cruz and George Kottaras the Cardinals have gone with A.J. Pierzynski as their primary Molina fill in. Pierzynski collected three hits in his Cardinals debut, but the 37-year-old Red Sox castoff has a .616 OPS in five games overall to match his poor production in Boston.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 67
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11