Yadier Molina won’t be back with the Cardinals before September

Aug 4, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT

yadier molina getty Getty Images

Yadier Molina is four weeks into what was expected to be an 8-12 week recovery from a torn thumb ligament and Cardinals manager Mike Matheny told Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that “what we’re hearing is good” on the catcher’s status.

Matheny described it as “just healing time” right now and reiterated that Molina won’t return before September. He also said the team has had to keep Molina away from the ballpark at times because “we’re trying to keep him from going crazy … he wants to be out there so bad.”

After initially turning to Tony Cruz and George Kottaras the Cardinals have gone with A.J. Pierzynski as their primary Molina fill in. Pierzynski collected three hits in his Cardinals debut, but the 37-year-old Red Sox castoff has a .616 OPS in five games overall to match his poor production in Boston.

1. stex52 - Aug 4, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Pierzynski is only there because it’s hard to play baseball without a catcher. Not that he’s very good at anymore, but someone back there has to at least try to catch the ball. Although I saw him at Wrigley and he seemed to be having a heck of a time with actually catching Wainwright’s curve.

I am sure that as soon as Yadier can be back on the field, this little interlude will be over with.

And AJ can spread his leathery wings and fly back to Mordor, whence he came.

• bfunk1978 - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I actually think the Cardinals will go with 3 catchers once he returns. Yes, Yadi will get the playing time, but I think they will want to make sure he’s healthy and not cut Pierzynski loose beforehand. With expanded rosters in September, they can afford to do that, as well.

• ud1951 - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:04 PM

And AJ is actually the best option the Cards have for a bench bat despite the low OPS.

• bfunk1978 - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:33 PM

A true statement and a testament to just how bad the Cardinals’ bench is.

2. beepbeepbeeplgb - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:17 AM

been pretty pleased w/ aj so far. he hasn’t been amazing by any means but he’s done well. had a clutch hit yesterday to keep the rally going. aj and lackey on the cards together and best friends shelby miller vs joe kelly next week. who woulda thought.

3. mungman69 - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:54 AM

The Cards are going to need Molina if they want to win (even make) the play offs.

• bfunk1978 - Aug 4, 2014 at 11:58 AM

This is going to be a convenient excuse when the team ultimately falters, but don’t forget he wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire the month or so before the injury. This whole team has been under-performing, which is why so much was done on Thursday.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 4, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Funk: Unless I am mistaken wasn’t Yadier actually swinging the bat much better the 2 – 3 weeks prior to the injury?

• bfunk1978 - Aug 4, 2014 at 5:31 PM

A couple multi-hit games followed by a couple oh-fers.

There’s a game-by-game breakdown of the last couple weeks. Maybe he was on the verge of breaking out of it, maybe not.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 5, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Thanks for the link! He was 11 out of his last 31. So I wasn’t too far off.
        In addition to this though, it just seems he was starting to have far better plate appearances over the last few weeks. Too bad. Cause’ when he is on in the middle of that lineup it sure does increase the pressure on the opposing pitcher. Obviously, we need everyone to start swinging the bats better if there is any chance of them making (and doing damage) in the playoffs.

• bfunk1978 - Aug 5, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Yeah, my perception of this team is that the offense was universally terrible and Molina was in the terlit along with everyone else and I benched him on my fantasy team. 11 for 31 is pretty good. I guess teh reality for Yadi was that 10 days before he got hurt he was figuring it out.

4. stlouis1baseball - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Wow…Yadier it out until at least September. That’s some revelation.
    Dude is done for the year. Write it down. Then…if you find I am wrong…call my ass out on it.
    I would love to be wrong about this.

• stex52 - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I think you are right. But Yadier is so tough we have to think there is a chance. I agree that they are not likely to get far without him. The other bats aren’t exactly making up.

5. delusionalcubsfan - Aug 4, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Get well soon. Gotta respect a guy as good as Molina and I feel bad for fans who don’t get to see their favorite player on the field.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2505)